PDA

View Full Version : first time to US and Florida

Stuart Hill
08-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi all,

Just need a bit of advice and reasurance.

Looking at coming over around Feb 15th for a weeks photography. Mainly the herons and egrets etc.

We'll be set to stay at the Best Western hotel opposite lake Wilson, 7769 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway.

Got Gatorland planned. Not sure what else yet.

So, how does that sound? Also how safe will it be walking around the surrounding lakes/country side with long lenses? Here in the UK, sometimes, you have to be really careful depending on the area!

kind regards.
Stu.

Stuart Hill
08-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Well we'll be on our way Feb 15-22 2010. Mailed Mike at Gatorland, sounds good. Bought the guide from birds as art. Cant wait!

see you soon Florida!

regards.
Stu.

Jim Neiger
08-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Well we'll be on our way Feb 15-22 2010. Mailed Mike at Gatorland, sounds good. Bought the guide from birds as art. Cant wait!

see you soon Florida!

regards.
Stu.

I hope you are refering to my Central Florida Site Guide. If not, I would get it as well.

Stuart Hill
08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I hope you are refering to my Central Florida Site Guide. If not, I would get it as well.

Thanks Jim. I am indeed refering to your Central Florida Site Guide. Purchased as soon as the tickets were confirmed today!

Read it twice! Using the time until we go to practice your hand holding technique. Just seems so long 'till we go!

thanks again.
Stu.

Dave Hassell
08-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Hello Stuart,
There are 4 excellent site guides to Florida called The Great Florida Birding Trail and you can download them at www.myfwc.com (http://www.myfwc.com)
There is also an excellent book, A Birder's Guide to Florida, by Bill Pranty and published by the American Birding Association.
One more book is Birding Floridaby Brian Rapoza and published by Falcon Press.
All the above can be bought from Amazon UK but make sure A Birder's Guide to Florida is the latest edition as there are alot of older editions on their website.
Florida is great for birding and photography and is very safe.
Good luck,
Dave Hassell.

Judd Patterson
08-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Jim and Dave provided some excellent advice. In short, at that time of year you are bound to find lots of bird photography opportunities in central Florida. It will be hard to go wrong! Overall you can feel quite safe when you are visiting the various refuges/parks in Florida. I would just be very careful about ever leaving valuables inside of a car (and never where they are visible). You are going to have a great time!! We'll see you next winter.

Stuart Hill
08-14-2009, 06:19 AM
Brilliant. Thanks for the advice chaps. So looking forward to it!

See you all soon!!!!!!

regards.
Stu.

colincarter
08-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Stuart

I was over this year around the same time, for a 2 week bird photography trip, and am planning another trip in 2011.

if you want a chat or any info, just drop me an email or pm.

you will have a great time

best wishes

Colin