PDA

View Full Version : December - where should I go

Roy Priest
08-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I have a week off in December and am looking to go somewhere to shoot birds and flyfish. I was thinking of Costa Rica or Belize but would prefer somewhere closer. Any suggestions? How about Cuba?

Jim Neiger
08-10-2009, 04:53 PM
How about beautiful sunny Florida. It is great here in December. There are many great birds and you can flyfish for Bass and specs on some of the best lakes in the country. There are also many ocean and river fishing opportunities and we usualy have great weather in December.

Michael Pancier
08-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Roy, likewise on Florida. The Ten Thousand Islands Area of the Everglades is an amazing location for fly fishing for speckled trout, bonefish, redfish, tarpon, snook, especially out in the flats in brackish and salt water. And the Glades has lots of birds.

Roger Clark
08-10-2009, 10:03 PM
or Bosque del Apache, New Mexico. Then Florida in January.

Michael Bertelsen
08-15-2009, 05:15 AM
Hi Roy,

I was flyfishing for Bones in Asension Bay with Pesca Maya Bonefish club 2 years ago and saw flocks flamingos.
I would choose Belize next time I go, but I don't know how the birding is there.
I have a place on Chokoloskee Island in the Everglages National Park where I flyfish from Febuary to mid april. Its nowhere as good as south America for flyfishing but the birding good. Roseates are in the ponds going north on 41 to Naples. You've got lots of good birding spots within a hour and a half drive approx. Corkscrew & Shark Valley to name a few.

Michael Bertelsen
www.algonquinparkphototours.com (http://www.algonquinparkphototours.com)