PDA

View Full Version : Cactus Flower

Erik Anderson
08-09-2009, 09:57 PM
To my surprise, I have found that cactus plants actually flower. This was taken during my misspent youth (about a year ago), and the only shooting info I have is that it was taken with an Olympus 510 and an Oly 40-150 Mk1

Fabs Forns
08-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I think this may have worked as a vertical, so you could fit the whole flower in, the top petal is clipped :(
There's a few hot spots in the outer petals, probably caused bu the mixed light you had. Best to work whites in very soft light.

Julie Kenward
08-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Erik, I agree with Fabs about the white being a bit hot and I'm not loving the clipped petals at the top, either. I do think had you been able to get the entire flower in the frame the horizontal presentation works - I love the curve of the plant in this case.

If you could find the raw file and bring the hot spots down it would certainly help as would a shadow/highlight adjustment to the stem part of the plant. The light in the BG is so pretty but the shadows from the flower have totally obscured the details of the stem on the left.

I do like your choice of DOF...you just needed a little softer lighting conditions overall.