PDA

View Full Version : Least Terns Mating ~ The Exchange of Gifts

Jim Fenton
01-02-2008, 07:47 AM
After dancing behind this gal for a half hour and tempting her with numerous shiny fish as offerings, he finally won her heart over with this one.

Nikon D2Xs, 500 AFSII, TC14EII, ISO 400 @ f8

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Excellent behavior shot, Jim. This fish really looks special. :) I wish for a lower shooting angle and a catchlight.

Jim Fenton
01-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi Axel....

Earlier in the afternoon, I had actually tried a lower angle. What I found however was that in doing so, I'd loose the definition of the outstretched wings of the male and I thought that the balancing act on the female, added to the presentation?

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 08:05 AM
He should have been able to do it with his good looks !!!!!! Love the image particularly the shadow detail Only improvement I can see is shooting from a lower angle !! Big Congrats !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi Axel....

Earlier in the afternoon, I had actually tried a lower angle. What I found however was that in doing so, I'd loose the definition of the outstretched wings of the male and I thought that the balancing act on the female, added to the presentation?

Hi Jim,

I can see your point. BTW, have you tried to raise the color temperature? I'm not sure if it has a very slight blue cast.

Jim Fenton
01-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Axel....

It was rather cloudy and a hair foggy.....I will try raising the color temp however and see how it looks :)

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Fabulous interaction going on here Jim. My only nit would be some fill flash for a catchlight in his eye. I don't remember if I welcomed you or not, so, welcome to BPN and look forward to more of your images, Jim.

Jim Fenton
01-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi Jody....

I agree that fill flash would have been nice...it started out being sunny and then clouded up with fog rolling in and since I was 2 miles up the beach and the flash was in the hosue....I didn't get a cathlight :)

It is now with me all of the time in my backpack.

Krijn Trimbos
01-02-2008, 09:00 AM
I agree with the other comments. A little more detail in the eye region and a lower angle would have made this perfect IMHO. Still a terrific shot though!

Jim Fenton
01-02-2008, 09:05 AM
I hear all of the "I would have liked a lower angle" comments and in some cases I'd agree.

I purposely didn't shoot this from hard on the deck because when I did, the dimensionality of the image suffered and the outstretched wings of the male simply disappeared.

I'll have to see if I kept one of the lower shots and post it later for comparison.

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi Jim,

I see what you mean about the higher angle an it is your conscious choice.

It's a very tender moment, and only wish I could have been there also to get one!

I would definitely warm it up a bit, since blue seems a bit dominant, due to the quality of the light.

My nit is I wish for more definition in the eyes, a problem with some Terns and Skimmers because of such dark heads!

A fine image, only pushing you a bit ;) since we know what a good photographer you are :)

Jim Fenton
01-02-2008, 09:29 AM
The reason I came here is so folks like you and the other great photographers can critique and push the **** out of me :)

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 09:41 AM
The reason I came here is so folks like you and the other great photographers can critique and push the **** out of me :)

That' s the spirit!!!! :D

Del Cockroft
01-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi Jim, I've always admired your work from other websites and having just joined, I was very pleased to see you here. How is the D300 coming along?

Jim Fenton
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi Del.....

The D300 is coming along fine. It's nice to be able to shoot at somewhat higher ISO ranges than the D2 series and the AF seems to be working fine :)

Glenn Bartley
01-02-2008, 12:39 PM
What a great moment captured. I think the nits have been covered so I will just say - Welcome :)

Manos Papadomanolakis
03-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Great timing,congrats Jim!