PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Creek #2

Rich Ikerd
08-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Sweet Creek Waterfall, Mapleton, Oregon
D2X, 24-70mm @ 56mm, f/10 @ 1/5 sec, iso 100

A more direct image of this small waterfall along Sweet Creek in the central coast of Oregon. I know the greens might look a bit too saturated as many mentioned in my first post of this area, but with the overcast skies, post-rainfall time frame and the normal lushness of the area, this is pretty close to the way I remember (no saturation adjustment made).

Dave Mills
08-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Rich, I like waterfall but feel there was a color caste on the image. I took out the caste and toned the greens down a little. I would crop the top so the falls are 2/3rds of the image and the foliage is 1/3...

Roman Kurywczak
08-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Rich,
I'd almost bet that the WB is giving the much warmer look to the greens and even pooping some yellows into the water......works sometimes to our advantage but in certain situations can be a bit much.....but is personal preference also. Dave's re-post makes the whites "cleaner"....but I don't mind the colors of the first....but then again I was a big fan of Velvia. Only recommendation from me is possibly toning down or patching some of the lighter branches in the UR and one just above the falls on the left side. Composed very nicely and love your use of the SS. It will be interesting to see how others feel about the color.

Ramesh Adkoli
08-10-2009, 03:44 AM
Beautiful location and nice exposure, Rich. I like the whites of Dave's repost and the saturated greens of your post: a combination of these will make it a killer image, IMO.

regards,
ramesh

Morkel Erasmus
08-10-2009, 08:02 AM
I like the OP greens and composition as is. To my eye it just looks a tad soft, especially the foliage? maybe just to slight sharpening (0.3px).

Rich Ikerd
08-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Dave, thanks for pointing out the color cast in the water. I definitely like the whiter water. The foliage might be a bit soft due to some movement (slight breeze in a long exposure definitely doesn't always give sharp details in things that move) - but I'll try some extra sharpening. Thanks for the suggestions.

Elmar Venter
08-19-2009, 10:05 AM
I really like this picture - great movement captured in the water and the lush setting captured just beautifully.