PDA

View Full Version : Coal Mine Canyon

Michael Pancier
08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
This is a really out of the place treasure about 16 miles outside of Tuba City, Arizona. You literally have to find a dirt road off of the highway (no signs) and follow it around a windmill and then you come up to the canyon.

This was taken last week during the golden hour.

This is a 3 image HDR taken at -2, 0, +2

5d Mark II
70-200 2.8L IS @ 160mm
Polarizer
f/16
ISO 100
full frame
processed in Photomatix Pro and Lightroom

Rich Ikerd
08-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Love the colors in this one Michael and the composition that ensures the shadows fall in good locations. Haven't heard of this place before - wonderful find. Looks more like southern Utah than Arizona.

Michael Pancier
08-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Love the colors in this one Michael and the composition that ensures the shadows fall in good locations. Haven't heard of this place before - wonderful find. Looks more like southern Utah than Arizona.

Rich, it's about 90 miles from the Utah Border.

Morkel Erasmus
08-09-2009, 05:01 PM
stunning comp - so much to keep the eyes occupied and great fall of light and subtle tonal changes in the rock faces. like the look of your HDRs...

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-10-2009, 07:15 AM
I really like everything about this picture. Good job :)

Kobus Tollig
08-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Great shot well done. Maybe sharpen it a bit more

Ramesh Adkoli
08-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Great image, Michael. Subtle tonal range and muted colors are the strength of this image. Nice DOF too. Wonder how it would have looked in a properly exposed non-HDR image. If you have a sample, can you repost?

regards,
ramesh

Michael Pancier
08-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Great image, Michael. Subtle tonal range and muted colors are the strength of this image. Nice DOF too. Wonder how it would have looked in a properly exposed non-HDR image. If you have a sample, can you repost?

regards,
ramesh

I have the middle image shot at -0-; I went HDR on this mainly due to the contrast and shadows. I'll see if I process the middle image and post it.