PDA

View Full Version : "Purple Lace"

Gus Cobos
08-09-2009, 11:00 AM
“Purple Lace”

This beauty was painted with a Nikon D3, using a Nikkor 200mm f/4D IF-ED macro lens, with a 20mm extension tube.

Image Solution:
focal length @ 200mm / exposure mode @ aperture priority / in camera matrix metering / 1/60sec. - f/22 / exposure comp @ -0.3EV / ISO @ 320 / white balance @ custom profile, using an Expo disk for color calibration / AF - Mode @ manual / color space @ sRGB / lighting solution - Nikon R1C1 wireless close up speedlight system; both light units set to minimum fill flash with a wide dispersal pattern and attached diffuser. / tone comp @ +1 degree / hue adjustment @ +2 degrees / saturation factor @ +2 degrees / support platform - tripod assist, with macro focusing rail, and remote electronic trigger release /

Comments greatly appreciated…:cool:

denise ippolito
08-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Gus, I love the swirl at the bottom!Beautiful colors and lighting.

Jeff Cashdollar
08-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Gus,

I like this one, it gets stronger for me as my eye pans to the top. Colors are perfect and it pulls me to the center, nice use of composition, well done. Amazing how a picture can control the viewed, at least me. Great balance of exposure and art - simple and strong - can you tell I like this one!!!!

Ron Boisvert
08-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Gus, I have a question about your tech notes. When you write "saturation factor @ +2 degrees", what exactly do you mean? Is that +2 on the saturation slider in the Hue/Saturation adjustment control?

Bob Miller
08-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi Gus!.......beautiful composition! I love the greens but the reds look too fluorescent to me.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Ron I think +2 is an adjustment in-camera on a Nikon. Love the patterns and colours in this one Gus.

carole wiley
08-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Great comp and colors, I love the lines and directions here.

Ron Boisvert
08-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Thank you Jackie. That makes sense. Plus 1 or 2 in the Hue/Saturation panel in PS is insignificant. Gus has told me before that he shoots raws, so I guess those settings work on raws in a Nikon. Interesting... My understanding is that they only work for jpegs on a Canon, right?

Harold Davis
08-09-2009, 07:15 PM
pretty sexy, gustavo! you got some nice flowing lines.

Alfred Forns
08-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Love it Gus !! They just keep getting better !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
08-10-2009, 05:31 PM
I think the only time saturation, sharpness etc., make any difference on a Canon Camera settings Ron is if you use Breezebrowser or DPP (Canon Software with the camera) to convert the images. Artie has a whole section dedicated to the settings he uses, but he uses BB to convert.

Ron Boisvert
08-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi Jackie, thanks for the reply. Now that you say it, I remember reading that about BB and Canon's DPP software. Several weeks ago I copied Artie's 50D camera setup document to my desktop for reference and checked my settings against it. I'll review it again to refresh.
Thank you, Ron