PDA

View Full Version : An Elephant amidst Elephant Grass -wide

sree.kumar.h
08-09-2009, 01:37 AM
@Sabyasachi, I don’t have a perfect ‘wide’ wide angle. I hope this help…

Reference post http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42812

Sabyasachi Patra
08-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Sree,
I moved this one as one photo per thread is the rule. One image per thread also helps in critiquing better.

I found the following EXIF details in your image: EOS 40D, EF 100-400 lens at 100mm, ISO 200, f9, 1/500, EV: -2/3rd.

The wider view gives a better sense of the habitat. In your composition, the edge of the grasslands virtually divide the image into two equal halves. Most often that is the major contributor in making an image appear static. The sky here is devoid of any drama, so to speak, so I feel cropping the sky further would be better. Even the distant mountain range may be cropped a bit. That would emphasise the grasslands more.

Also, moving your camera to the right would have been better, so that the elephant would have been in the Rule of Thirds position. Most often, if not always, the rule of thirds position gives us pleasing compositions.

Rather than standing on the jeep top, as you had mentioned earlier, if you could have included more of the elephant grasses by going a bit lower, a better idea of scale would have been obtained. A vertical composition, would have helped, since you were clicking at the 100mm focal length with a 1.6 crop factor camera.

Look forward to more experimentations. Often it takes a lot of time for us to refine our concepts. Please don't take this as failure. They teach us important lessons.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

sree.kumar.h
08-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Thanks Sabyasachi. I look forward to criticism and fully agree with you they help us learn.

David Fletcher
08-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Suggestions pretty well covered. Thanks for sharing as this does provide an insight to the habitat that can be expected there too.

Harshad Barve
08-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Sabyasachi has covered it in details
TFS

Axel Hildebrandt
08-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Interesting environment, this grass is really tall. Adding to the other suggestions the image seems to need a bit CCW rotation.

Roman Kurywczak
08-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi Sree,
Very good advice offered above and I will add that the FG brighter OOF grasses take away from this image and detract from the environments impact.