PDA

View Full Version : Van Dusen Falls

Roy Priest
08-09-2009, 02:11 AM
I like the fact the rock in the middle of this small falls reminds me of a head of a frog or some other animal. This is my first attempt at a shot like this and would welcome any suggestions.
D90, f20 @ 1/8 sec, ISO 200, 300 mm, hand held.

Robert Amoruso
08-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Roy,

I liek the composition with the water in diagonals and converging at in the lower half of the frame. Did not notice it myself but the middle rock does sort of look like a head. Personally, I generally prefer a slower shutter speed for images like this but nothing wrong with what you did here. Just remember you can always make exposures at different shutter speeds in the field and pick the one you like best later.

Also polarizers are great to tone down/remove the specular highlights and glare reflections. If you are OK with such things, I would clone out the branch in the upper right. I moving in the field would have eliminated the branch, that is the best option.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-09-2009, 09:15 AM
I agree with Robert about the branch, I would also remove. Love the colors and the water flow. Great job :)

Roman Kurywczak
08-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Roy,
Agree with Robert's comments but will ad something for in the field next time......while there is no hard/fast rule......water generally looks better on overcast days.....you still get glare....so the polariser is still necessary....but it definitely helps with definition inthe water. In this lighting situation, I would recommend a faster SS to freeze the flow....unless the light is very low......the sloww SS on sunny days tends to get to milky and detailless. Compose the image as you have here.....and then vary the SS from fast (change the ISO)....to slow......and compare the differences to get a better understanding of how the light will affect the scene. The amount of water flow over the cascades will also greatly affect the scene. Hope you get a chance to try this on an overcast day for comparison.

Roy Priest
08-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Roy,

I liek the composition with the water in diagonals and converging at in the lower half of the frame. Did not notice it myself but the middle rock does sort of look like a head. Personally, I generally prefer a slower shutter speed for images like this but nothing wrong with what you did here. Just remember you can always make exposures at different shutter speeds in the field and pick the one you like best later.

Also polarizers are great to tone down/remove the specular highlights and glare reflections. If you are OK with such things, I would clone out the branch in the upper right. I moving in the field would have eliminated the branch, that is the best option.

Thanks Robert, great advice and suggestions, just what I was looking for. Hand held I didn't think I could go much slower, and I'm sure those branches were not there when I took the pic.:)

Roy Priest
08-09-2009, 10:45 PM
I agree with Robert about the branch, I would also remove. Love the colors and the water flow. Great job :)

THanks Kyle

Roy Priest
08-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi Roy,
Agree with Robert's comments but will ad something for in the field next time......while there is no hard/fast rule......water generally looks better on overcast days.....you still get glare....so the polariser is still necessary....but it definitely helps with definition inthe water. In this lighting situation, I would recommend a faster SS to freeze the flow....unless the light is very low......the sloww SS on sunny days tends to get to milky and detailless. Compose the image as you have here.....and then vary the SS from fast (change the ISO)....to slow......and compare the differences to get a better understanding of how the light will affect the scene. The amount of water flow over the cascades will also greatly affect the scene. Hope you get a chance to try this on an overcast day for comparison.

Roman, another post replete with great information. I'll take your advice and head there on an overcast day and experiment.