PDA

View Full Version : Great ball of yellow

Roy Priest
08-09-2009, 01:57 AM
Taken at Van Dusen's Gardens in Vancouver B.C. Overcast day with rain threatening.
D90, 300mm, F4 @ 1/1000 sec, hand held

Desmond Chan
08-09-2009, 02:28 AM
I like it. An interesting composition; simple and effective. Perhaps a bit more DOF, but it's OK as is.

What ISO did you use?

BTW, were the film crew still there?

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-09-2009, 07:09 AM
I like this, It's simple but elegant. Very nice job :)

Julie Kenward
08-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi Roy. I like the simple and clean choice of subject. I feel you could strengthen the composition a bit more by taking a little off the top, moving the yellow flower into the ROT's position both horizontally AND vertically. I'd also suggest a round of noise reduction (NR).

What ISO did you use?

Tell Dickinson
08-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Simple but effective Roy :) I keep looking at the stem and wish it were a little more in focus.

Tell

Roy Priest
08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I like it. An interesting composition; simple and effective. Perhaps a bit more DOF, but it's OK as is.

What ISO did you use?

BTW, were the film crew still there?

Thanks Desmond, ISO 200. We found out as we were leaving the crew was not filming that day. Funny enough they had attatched fake flowers to some of the bushes.

Roy Priest
08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I like this, It's simple but elegant. Very nice job :)

Thank you Kyle.

Roy Priest
08-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Roy. I like the simple and clean choice of subject. I feel you could strengthen the composition a bit more by taking a little off the top, moving the yellow flower into the ROT's position both horizontally AND vertically. I'd also suggest a round of noise reduction (NR).

What ISO did you use?

Thanks Julie. I'll try your cropping advice for sure. I wonder why some of my images show some noise when there is non in the original. Maybe I'm doing something wrong when saving for the web. ISO 200

Roy Priest
08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Simple but effective Roy :) I keep looking at the stem and wish it were a little more in focus.

Tell

Thanks Tell. I should have shot a couple of variations but just then there was quite a strong breeze and I didn't want to push my luck.

Anita Bower
08-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Beautiful BG. The bright yellow stands out beautifully. Would like to see a little more dof to get more of the flower sharp, but I have the same problem--blurring the BG while keeping flower sharp. Nice composition.