Canon 40D & 400MM 5.6 L
HH
ISO=400
EV= -2/3
f/8.0
1/5000
Morning light

LRII-->CS4

I have started a series of photos, named "Life In The Lot". Pictures depicting birds interfacing with the hand of man elements. The (1st) photo was The Shadow, then (2nd) The Killdeer in the Target parking lot, then recently (3rd) The Wall. This is number (4), a Black-crowned Night-Heron sitting atop an abandon sign frame near a local dam. I am planning 10 pictures. No natural perches here, just birds and man made infrastructure, The next images will be from the city (Nashville). Until then, I appreciate any and all feedback.

Inside the frame - ULHC is a spider web. Kept it as real as possible.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Good composition and exposure Jeff. I like your series. Did miss the kildeer will have to go back and see that one.

Alfred Forns
08-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm loving the series Beep and hope you can get lots more !!!

Tech wise just perfect On those guys would wait to see if someone flies by and he raises the head feathers !!!

denise ippolito
08-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Jeff, I like the perch it's interesting. The framing is nice also. The pose and details look good. I might evict the specks by the left toe. Well done series and am looking forward to your next one.
Didn't know it was a spider web and think maybe others won't either-I'd evict it if it were mine-but it's your image, as fellow member Mark Fuge says "it's your vision" . But it comes down to your decision:D:) And I will respect that.

Gus Cobos
08-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi Jeff,
A mighty fine capture indeed...good head angle with sharp eye and good color rendition...love the perch...:cool:

Ron Boisvert
08-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Jeff, Well your series is seriously underway, and I'm looking forward to the installments. It's been great so far, and this one is excellent. The composition is good, the exposure looks perfect, sharpness is right on, and the head angle is good too. As for the spider web, is it part of your series guidelines to keep it as "real as possible"? If so, I'll refrain from suggesting the removal of anything. I'm looking forward to your next image!

Jeff Cashdollar
08-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Ron,

denise mentioned the same thing, going forward I will cleanup things of this nature. I am trying to keep it real but the web looks like dirt on the lens and it does affect the image quality. I am still going to use all the tools at my disposal to make pictures look compelling and try to represent the image as I saw it. Should have evicted the wed, I can always repost, so it goes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob Miller
08-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Hi Jeff...Love the series. This image is very sharp and is in good light. I would consider taking some off the top. Waiting for the next one!

Harold Davis
08-09-2009, 07:35 PM
loving the series, jeff!! it's out of the box a little and that suits me just fine. this one is very complimentary to the rest. cant wait to see what you come up with next!

Jeff Cashdollar
08-09-2009, 07:55 PM
harold,

Thank you, I am going to try and challenge myself as I progress. I spent a couple of days with Chas last month, working on lighting and exposure. I intend to make the shots more mature as I go, wish me luck.

Kerry Perkins
08-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi Jeff. My favorite of yours so far!! Really nice work on this one, exposure, comp, sharpness - all working just great. As for the spider web, my thinking is that, since you can't see the supporting web structure and don't know what it is (unless you're you), it ends up looking like specks that don't belong. I would vote to evict. ;)

Jeff Cashdollar
08-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Kerry,

Thanks, I could remove and repost but I feel it is too late. Going forward, I will eliminate such distracting detail, good advice.