PDA

View Full Version : Heron Hunter

Travis Novitsky
02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Well, I'm not sure if this will go over well here or not as I haven't noticed any black and white images, but I'll give it a shot. This image was originally shot in color, but because of the conditions it didn't have much color in the first place and was pretty flat overall. It was a very warm and humid summer morning on the Lake Superior shoreline in Grand Portage, MN where I live, and there was a haze over the lake from the humidity. A beautiful morning, to be sure.....then this heron came along and started looking for fish along the shoreline. After only a minute or two he plucked this small fish out of the water.

Made with a Canon EOS Digital Rebel in July of 2004, using a Canon 100-400mm L IS lens at 200mm, shutter speed 1/500, aperture f8.0, ISO 100.

Please share your thoughts and comments whether good or bad.....I appreciate all the advice/praise/criticism that you fine folks on this site have to offer. Thanks.....

Steve Wheeler
02-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I love this Travis! The composition seems very balanced to me. Love the hazy, grey hills in the BG behind that very crisp, black silhouette. The water (whites) left of center might be a little hot, but otherwise this is very easy on my eyes.

Steve

Fabs Forns
02-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I think it's terrific, I love the different layers of colors and the composition. If you sharpened it, I would go back some since the Heron looks kinda frozen.

Great going!

Travis Novitsky
02-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I was thinking I might have over-sharpened it a bit......thanks for the input!

Dan O'Leary
02-08-2008, 06:51 AM
I really enjoy this too. It's about the layers.

Must be nice to have "mountains" for your backgrounds. In FL that would be a landfill. ;-)

Tony Whitehead
02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
This is lovely, Travis. Nice to see something different. Good composition, interesting action, love the receding aerial perspective. Wonder if removing the foliage touching the legs may improve it.