PDA

View Full Version : Lift-off at Bosque del Apache NWR

Ron Boisvert
08-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Canon 20D, 70-200 f/4, w/ 1.4X TC, @ 280mm, HH
ISO 400, f/5.6 @ 1/1600, Auto Exposure, Av, +2/3EV, 1/3/2009, 8:40am
small crop off the left side, and I added a little canvas to the right, no other mods

Though the background looks un-level, the shore is receding from right to left. Another version has the shore and background birds cropped off. I don't really have a preference, so I posted this one. All comments and suggestions for improvement are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jackie Schuknecht
08-09-2009, 06:50 AM
I like the OOF birds in the BG it adds to the picture IMO, good exposure and sharpness. Nice separation of subject between the other birds. Beautiful colours too. Very nice.

Jeff Cashdollar
08-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Ron,

I like this picture and I will tell you why. I addition to solid exposure techs you show the habitat and natural environment. IMO that is fantastic, it tells the story and puts the viewer there to see the bigger picture - well done.

When you added the canvas (great PS work) how did you extent the image, it looks perfect (e.g., clone, QM)?

Looks sunny, I love the +2/3 to keep histogram to the right.

Alfred Forns
08-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Love it Ron I'm sure its way before nine, light is soft and those birds are out of there early.

Great seeing the birds in the bg, does give a better idea of Bosque The most amazing part is the clean water .... Super !!! The foreground bird is tack sharp and well exposed !!! Big Congrats !!!

denise ippolito
08-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Ron, I like the inclusion of the the BG birds. It gives a sense of place. Beautiful pose for your main subject and I like the turned up wing tips! Lovely light and your exposure looks great!Well done.

Gus Cobos
08-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Well composed and executed Ron...I like it as presented...the color rendition is very good, showing sharp details and a sharp eye...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Ron Boisvert
08-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Jeff, for this image I used the Clone tool exclusively. A QM would have worked well too. Thanks for the comment about it looking perfect, but as I look at it some more, I think it needs more work. It's too obvious to me.

Alfred, you are right about the water. I went back to check my raw image, and noticed that I had cloned out 6 or 7 small white feathers when I processed it back then. Sunrise was at about 7:20 this particular morning, and this image was my last keeper of the crane pool session. I normally stay until the last crane leaves. I remember having to jump up and down to get my blood flowing to stop the shivering by the time the slowpokes took off!

Thank you all for the feedback, it sounds like this one is a keeper. I appreciate it very much.

Bob Miller
08-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Ron....This image looks good to me. It is not obvious to me that you extended the canvas. Nice job! i really like the sheen on the water. I like the sense of place !

Harold Davis
08-09-2009, 07:49 PM
i dont know, ron. i stared at it a while after i read you used the clone brush. not too shabby!!! i see a couple repeating patterns, but i think you did excellent! it's a nice environmental or "birdscape"!