PDA

View Full Version : Unedited Mountains image.How would you crop?

Ian McHenry
08-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Just got back from a trip up north and took this image from the plane on the way up.
It appears to have lots of crop options.
Image resized but otherwise straight from camera.
Would enjoy seeing what others in the forum can do with image.

Ian McHenry
08-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Have looked at a few possibilities and this is my preferred edit so far.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Sabyasachi Patra
08-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Hi Ian,
I would leave the top, but crop more from the bottom. The bottom right hand corner, doesn't add much to the image, in my opinion. It would have been great if the bottom right corner would have been covered with clouds.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Robert Amoruso
08-09-2009, 06:45 AM
I agree with Sabyasachi, cropping from the bottom is best IMO as the top is more interesting and the bottom adds little to the image.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-09-2009, 09:07 AM
I really like how you get a peek of the snow capped mountains and at the bottom some of the green fields. I would crop some off the left, because there is not much going on over there, IMO. Great job :)

Roman Kurywczak
08-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Hi Ian,
Doesn't apear to have a strong enough focal point....but gave it a shot anyway. I rotated the canvas 2 degrees....just felt it was off.....cropped to clean up rotation. Added 14% in selective colors blacks.....and 6% in neutrals. An LCE of 20/30/0 and some color balnce adding a bit of yellow and magenta....to tone down the blue cast. Cropped a bit of bottom. Still not feeling the comp that much.....but it is an unusual perspective. Let me know what you think.
PS pretty close on the highlights...so you may want to tone them down a bit more first.

Ian McHenry
08-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi, Robert, Kyle and Roman
Before I read latest posts I tried a crop to reduce bottom detail as suggested by Sabyasachi.
I had thought that the lower clouds on the right gave a bit of a lead in pointer to mountains but perhaps not !!!
Anyway came up with a semi pano.
Roman: Really like your repost. Much more vibrant.
Thanks for taking the time to edit.
Cheers: Ian Mc