PDA

View Full Version : Barn on Mormon Row

Ben Egbert
08-08-2009, 10:45 AM
http://www.pbase.com/roserus/image/115850372/original.jpg

I normally shoot this barn in October, so stopping by in April was different. I had to park out at Antelope road and trudge through the snow to get there. The big advantage is that there were no other photographers. In October, this point of view would have a row of photographers in the foreground.

I also note that first light has a shadow on the barn from some trees east of the barn. A ½ hour or so after sunrise works best.

1DS-mk3, Zeiss 50f1.4 at f16. Iso 100, 1/100 second.
Minimum processing in CS3.

Hazel Grant
08-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Great shot. Obviously one you've practiced on...and that is good. You know the subject. I darkened the blue using selective color just a bit and it made that great cloud pop out just a bit more. You may prefer the cloud to be less obvious, but I kind of like it.

Ben Egbert
08-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for looking and doing a version. I have been posting my print versions which I do at 80CD/mm^. I recently learned that I need to create a bright monitor cal and do web versions darker. I am sort of looking for feedback on color and brightness. The printed version looks more like yours.

Morkel Erasmus
08-08-2009, 05:33 PM
stunning details and composition! I would try and compose without the top middle twigs entering the frame, or clone them out (if that's within your boundaries).

Hazel Grant
08-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah, they sort of look alike when posted I'm having some problem with that on my posting. Looks more intense on my monitor. Just trying to make that great cloud a bit more obvious.

Ben Egbert
08-08-2009, 06:10 PM
stunning details and composition! I would try and compose without the top middle twigs entering the frame, or clone them out (if that's within your boundaries).

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I sort of liked the top branches, I use it for framing, but it is always good to hear how others believe your ideas work.

Robert Amoruso
08-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Ben,

I love the barn's detail, I love the BG and those trees on the right of the barn. I understand why you have the trees at the left but due to their proximity to the camera and brightness draw my eye to much, especially that straggler hanging in from the top. As the barn is the center of interest in this image, that is your focus. I would have walk around this left FG tree and framed the barn more left and turned the camera right to include the more distant group of trees onthe right. Making the barn more in the FG and then balancing the barn with the distance BG trees would have been a better composition IMO and opened up the image an made it look more expansive.

I hope you got up close to the barn to make some up-close images if that was possible.

Roman Kurywczak
08-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi Ben,
Been there many times so I know the area well.....probably the most photographed barn in the US. I like that you looked for something different....but the FG trees do appear to overwhelm the image.....I would definitely get rid of the left trunk at edge of frame as it is the most distracting. Toning down the remaining trunk may then help....but still fell as Robert does.....I prefer the cleaner versions w/o the trees.....so hope you moved over a bit.

Ben Egbert
08-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks all for comments. I have about 40 versions of this barn taken over 8 or 9 visits in the last 5 years, so I have most of the suggestions covered, albiet no others at this time of year. I was not able to cross the irrigation stream on this trip for those of you who know the spot, the snow was too deep.

David Thomasson
08-09-2009, 08:06 PM
A slightly different take: I don't have a problem with the foreground trees, but to my eye, the barn belongs a little closer to them.
Some shifting about might have accomplished this ... or you could scoot it over in Photoshop. Beautiful capture of a beautiful scene.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9932/barn.gif

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6645/barn.jpg