Alfred Forns
08-08-2009, 07:25 PM
So sad I really feel for that lady !!!!

Rocky Sharwell
08-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Yeah so do I....A tragedy

Sabyasachi Patra
08-09-2009, 04:07 AM
It is unfortunate. It is easy to get lost. A 4x4 is always better. It is not often, that I need to engage the 4x4, but when ever I have needed it, I have felt it is worth the money to have a 4x4 capability in your SUV.

Rocky Sharwell
08-09-2009, 07:42 AM
The other thing I do is get lots of water--way more than I think I will need. I tend to use more than expected out west where things are so dry. I give away the extra water--usually to the rental car people...

Harold Davis
08-09-2009, 08:04 AM
it is ashame for someone to die like that.

is it normal to camp in death valley in the summer time?

Axel Hildebrandt
08-09-2009, 11:23 AM
is it normal to camp in death valley in the summer time?

I was wondering about that, too. A low temperature of 96 at night doesn't sound so good. It must have been horrible to see her son die and be helpless to do anything about it.

Michael Pancier
08-10-2009, 08:40 AM
What I don't get is that the park has main roads throughout. As long as you stay on the main roads, you're fine. I've driven that park and it's well marked. The article indicates that she got stuck on some dirt road West of the Park which is outside the park area. So this whole story is mind boggling. Another reason why GPS is a must. It's so cheap and insane to not have one with you. But I understand the cell issue there. No cell phone service anywhere except at park HQ.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-10-2009, 08:46 AM
What I don't get is that the park has main roads throughout. As long as you stay on the main roads, you're fine. I've driven that park and it's well marked. The article indicates that she got stuck on some dirt road West of the Park which is outside the park area. So this whole story is mind boggling. Another reason why GPS is a must. It's so cheap and insane to not have one with you. But I understand the cell issue there. No cell phone service anywhere except at park HQ.

I think she had a GPS device but got stuck in the sand after changing a tire. Going off-road seems to be the thing that makes it dangerous if something happens.

Rocky Sharwell
08-11-2009, 08:09 AM

Based upon what I have heard of the park from you and others--It is most definitely a spot where I would seriously consider renting a satellite phone.

Michael Pancier
08-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Based upon what I have heard of the park from you and others--It is most definitely a spot where I would seriously consider renting a satellite phone.

No doubt a Sat Phone is a must if you're there for an extended period. The park is so huge, and if you get snowed in or stuck in the mud, you could be there for days (that's in winter) .... in summer, they have tanks along the road with emergency water for your car, but it's really insane to be there in summer.

But no cell service anywhere out there.

William Malacarne
08-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Not sure how reliable this info is but this is what I found doing a Google search....This same info was found in a few places. This is FYI only use with caution.

http://boxcarcabin.com/dvcell.htm

Bill

Ed Cordes
08-11-2009, 08:16 PM
What a tragic story and so sad for the lady who lost her son. Travelling off road was not a good idea. Isn't the Cherokee a 4X4? Every one I rented was. The lesson for all of us is to not underestimate the conditions we may face and we should certainly tell someone where we are going and what our ETA at destination is.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-11-2009, 10:53 PM
It is a very sad story indeed. This is such a terrible mishap that a few basic, common sense plans could have prevented. Even for simple hikes on trails, we often carry a GPS locator beacon in case something horrible happens. But we always tell people where we are and when we are coming back. I know, easier said than done. :( My heart goes out to this lady. :(

We have our own deserts and other areas in Oz that are just as treacherous for various reasons. People should be far more safety conscious before they venture into these areas and ALONE! That is potentially life-threatening. There are many good procedures being used locally (should be at least) and one is to tell someone (usually the local police) WHERE you are going, HOW long you will be and WHEN to expect you back and WHERE, then they will raise the alarm if you are not back within the specified timeframe.

Randy Smith
08-15-2009, 02:52 AM
"S P O T",

It is a new gadget that is cheap, sort of. about 150$ and then you pay a monthly charge of just a few dollars. Simple device though with four general buttons that bounces a signal off a satellite in a short burst. The one of four burst it can send/relay to the host company. You the owner create pre-typed messages that will be sent automatically to loved ones and those concerned based on your perceived needs. The first button is "I am fine all is well", the second message is "I am delayed but I am fine", third is "I am in trouble and need assistance" (your pre-typed message could have common contact names and phone numbers, location dates and such to be shared amongst people who are willing to help out). The last button notifies emergency rescue services and the nearest Embassy should you be out of your country as well as all specified contacts you wish contacted. All the burst are equipped with GPS coordinates so people can look you up on Google MAPS or EARTH, and you can also use the GPS data later for travel logs, blogs or even update your blog daily I believe (with location only). The point is that people who are concerned about your outings, and or the office can know respond to your needs with help from anywhere in the world.

My brother goes into Afghanistan but I can't get him to used one. It is about that size of a transistor radio, (if any of you remember what those are). Anyone with a cell phone, or computer can be notified just moments after you get into trouble, on land or on water any where in the world. It's cheap, and It would help emergency services know where to start looking and what they might be in for even before sending out searches ( just think how much cheaper and easier that would be for rescue). You can not transmit a personal message though, these are only pre-typed messages that you log-on to your account and type prior to leaving on your adventures.

This is not an advertisement, and though I should be paid for this plug, I am not receiving any money. I think this is sensible device for people who travel a lot and have people who find it hard to keep track of them and wonder if things are going well. Think of all the times people get into trouble and could be saved with this little thing that weighs just a few ounces. Worse case scenario people could at least see where you are and say, hay I am not crazy, It's too dangerous to go there, and at least no one would die looking for you.

Be safe well, all.