PDA

View Full Version : Quiver Tree Sunrise (HDR) - more natural look

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Based on mixed opinions over my previous post of this composition (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42382), I decided to do a bit of research on making the HDR from Photomatix look more natural. I tried a manual exposure blend in CS3 as well but it just lacked colour and depth overall.

I created this version by running the 3 exposures (-3, -1, 2) through BOTH the 'Details Enhancer' and the 'Tone Compressor' algorithms of Photomatix, and then blending the 2 results in Photoshop to do away with the strong halo and compensate for strong saturation of the tone-compressor.

I still like the other one as an impact shot, and as a more photo art specimen, but I think this one has come closer to achieve the end-goal of HDR without looking that surrealistic. I couldn't extract the same colours from the sky, but will work some more on it.

Your thoughts will be highly appreciated...

Roman Kurywczak
08-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey Morkel,
You nailed this one!!! I also agree with your assesment....the previous one is more photo art and more impact....but this is what HDR should look like! Super job!!!

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2009, 10:08 PM
thanks Roman - your feedback means a lot and has helped me improve a lot on this forum. :):)

I assume some people will still critique the halo that is still apparent, but I will just quip that the sun is rising behind the friggin' trees, so I should expect at least somewhat of a halo :D

Ramesh Adkoli
08-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Markus, to me this image has a lot of appeal. I like the rich colors of the trees and the tonal range of the sky. TFS a different take on this.

regards,
ramesh

Tim Rucci
08-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I like the 2nd one a lot better. I think you'll find lots of different opinions on HDR, but what seems to work best for me is an image that has impact without looking fake. Nice job.

Gerald_Gilligan
08-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Morkel,
Your second post has more punch, but this one really looks more natural...

Jerry

Robert Amoruso
08-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Morkel, I agree with Roman, you nailed it.

The Details Enhancer/Tone Compressed versions are a good method to make the image look more natural. Nice work.

I too still think the original is a good arty type image.

Morkel Erasmus
08-09-2009, 07:33 AM
thanks for the great feedback Roman, Gerald, Tim & Ramesh :)