PDA

View Full Version : Evening lighthouse

Hazel Grant
08-07-2009, 03:10 PM
In the Firth of Fourth in Edinburgh, evening setting.

1/200, f9, 200 ISO, 28mm.

Roman Kurywczak
08-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Hazel, New lighthouse for me so I am excited about that. Does appear that you may have lightened it a hair too much......but as I like the contrast of tones.....I find myself actually liking that. In the re-post I did lighten the base a bit using a levels layer,,,just to bring it into a closer tonal value to the beacon. Biggest change is the crop......the clouds now act as a nice framing element. I did lighten the beacon a bit more.....with the levels layer and the final touch was adding blacks to the neutrals in Selective color for that final pop on the clouds. These were all minor adjustments and for me the biggest one...the crop....only strengthened the comp by putting the LH in the ROT position. Let me know what you think.
PS There is a halo around the beacon....which I only accentuated.....so be careful with the adjustments.

Ramesh Adkoli
08-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Hazel, a very nice view and the angle adds to the strength of this composition. Of course, Roman's take makes a huge impact on IQ. It is a great learning for me too. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Hazel Grant
08-08-2009, 03:48 AM
As usual, a great change to the better. Thanks. A great learning experience. I had cropped some but see the difference a bit more makes. How much difference little tweaks can make!

Robert Amoruso
08-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Hazel,

I like Roman's reworked version and the small crop to get rid of that short dark vertical line intersecting the left side of the frame was perfect.