PDA

View Full Version : Barrow's Goldeneye with Mussel

Bonnie Block
02-07-2008, 08:21 PM
:) Well, yes he is going away and almost past me (he was swimming hard)--but I was thrilled to get this close to the little bugger--;) Maybe next time?
By the look in his eye he was not to thrilled to have come up from under the dock that close to me. Tough subject to expose!
1D MKIII 300/2.8 IS + 2X TC
1/640s f/8.0 at 600.0mm iso500 +1/3 ec Handheld
http://www.pbase.com/herderdog/image/92665696.jpg

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Bonnie I think you did well to get this image from your account of what preceded this capture. Even though he is swimming away you have wonderful eye contact and a nice head turn. The exposure is tough and the whites look a little hot on my monitor but I would be very happy to have this image. The fact that he has a clam in his mouth is a real bonus. Thanks for sharing Bonnie.

Richard Kowalski
02-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Nice capture Bonnie.
Yep, blacks & brilliant whites on tough!
I'm wondering why you chose to open 1/3 stop instead of closing 1/2 stop? The darker tones are nicely detailed so I imagine you opened up for that reason.
It looks like the pupil is a little soft so maybe a bit of selective sharpening.
I'd like to see a little more room the bird.

Grady Weed
02-07-2008, 08:43 PM
All things considered, you made out here. These are very tough to expose for. And you can always try once more for a better contrast of the white and blacks. Keep clickin.

Alfred Forns
02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
You are right Bonnie These guys are a nightmare to expose Looks good to me I think closing down the 1/3 would have blocked the dark feathers White are on the edge as they can only be with anything but ideal light

One thing I would like is to select the eye and do a little work Darkening the pupil would help !!!!

Mike Wilson
02-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Nice and close, I like the alert look in his eye and the good detail. The crop is a bit tight and if possible, adding more to the left and right side would make it better for me.