PDA

View Full Version : Female Northern Harrier

arash_hazeghi
08-07-2009, 03:26 AM
This photo is from early 2007, it's a female northern harrier, carefully watching me as she was flying over.

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/northern%20harrier%20female%20bpn.jpg

It was with a Canon 20D + 300 f/4 + 1.4X TCII f/7.1 1/500 ISO 400 manual exposure. Hope you like it.
P.S. this photo was shot in JPEG quality, the original 20D had only buffer for 6 RAW!!! so I had to use JPEG for bursts, unfortunately there wasn't much additional room for post.

Kiran Poonacha
08-07-2009, 05:22 AM
Loved the head on angle, the eye contact and details, well done.. the bird is too centered in the frame I feel...

Art Peslak
08-07-2009, 06:19 AM
a nice underside shot. you did well to control the exposure and pull detail from the dark side with a jpeg.

Harshad Barve
08-07-2009, 08:38 AM
lovely postion , HA, underwings details , BG
Ditto Kiran here for compo
TFS

Daniel Cadieux
08-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Neat looking bird showing us its feather patterns on its underwings. Neat view of both eyes too. Perhaps a tighter comp would make the centered presentation look better as there is currently a bit of extra sky that doesn't add to the image. What do you mean by: "unfortunately there wasn't much additional room for post."?

Ben Egbert
08-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Good job for jpg and underside. Nice exposure too.

Brian Barcelos
08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
The 20D buffer does fill up pretty quickly, I have lots of experience with that to this day. It can be frustrating when there is lots going around at the same time.:( You still did great here and I love the eye contact. Nice detail in the feathers also. I'd like a little room cut from the right.

Brian

arash_hazeghi
08-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks all for the comments, I tightened the crop and it is slightly off center now

arash_hazeghi
08-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Neat looking bird showing us its feather patterns on its underwings. Neat view of both eyes too. Perhaps a tighter comp would make the centered presentation look better as there is currently a bit of extra sky that doesn't add to the image. What do you mean by: "unfortunately there wasn't much additional room for post."?

Since it was a JPEG, there is no aditional information in the file for post processing like highlight recovery etc.

arash_hazeghi
08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
The 20D buffer does fill up pretty quickly, I have lots of experience with that to this day. It can be frustrating when there is lots going around at the same time.:( You still did great here and I love the eye contact. Nice detail in the feathers also. I'd like a little room cut from the right.

Brian

Hi Brian,
Yup, we have come a long way, since I got the 40D I have never ran out of buffer again. Major improvement!!! :) Thanks