PDA

View Full Version : Red-rumped Parrot

Leo Berzins
08-07-2009, 03:13 AM
These delightful small parrots are fairly common in the Canberra region and in the winter months they can often be found feeding in small flocks on suburban lawns and playing fields. This male was only a few hundred metres from our Parliament House.

Canon 40D, 400f/5.6L, 1/640s, f5.6, ISO 800, Av mode, EC +2/3, handheld with a BushHawk lying on the ground
a couple of minor distratcting background elements removed, background and foreground darkened slightly

Harshad Barve
08-07-2009, 03:18 AM
what a wonderful species this is ,
Loved the colors , details , low angle and sharpness
Wish I could see full bird
TFS

Daniel Cadieux
08-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Nice low angle, and I love the bits of grass in the bill - including the falling one!. With the BG lighter and sunny and the bird in shade I believe some flash would have done wonders for the overall colours (as posted you could also raise the coloue temp). Assuming this guy has a long tail I understand the decision to crop it...but I wish to see at least the tip of the wing.

Doug Brown
08-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi Leo. I like the low angle and sharpness. The clipped tail is less than ideal; if I'm going to clip the body, I like it to look intentional. By that I mean I'll go really tight on the crop. Agree with Daniel's suggestion about fill flash. You could duplicate the flash effect in PS; here's what it looks like.

Rob Drummond
08-08-2009, 02:16 AM
Lovely detail and low perspective Leo

cheers
Rob

Leo Berzins
08-08-2009, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone and particularly Doug for taking the time to repost an improved image. Clearly I've still got a lot to learn in Photoshop.

Regarding flash, I don't like using it on these (or many other of our parrots) because I find that the colours never look right, particularly the blues.