PDA

View Full Version : Post your Bosque Travel Dates!

Doug Brown
08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I thought it would be nice for BPN members who will be visiting the Bosque del Apache this winter to be able to meet up with one another. The easiest way to accomplish this is to post the dates you plan on being at the Bosque for others to see. We can PM each other to make arrangements to get together.

I'll be there from Nov. 14th through at least the 17th to teach a workshop. I'll be visiting the Bosque on a somewhat regular basis all winter long.

From James,
Good idea Doug.

Please post your travel plans as replies to this thread.
This is a great way to see old friends, meet new BPN friends, arrange car pools, share your "great rate" on lodging etc.

Jim Neiger
08-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I'll be there conducting two workshops. I plan to arrive on November 6th and leave on November 17th. I like to go this time of year to take advantage of the fall color bgs in addition to the many Snow Geese, Sandhill Cranes and other birds. I hope to see many of you there.

JP Bruce
08-10-2009, 10:36 PM
I'll be there during Thanksgiving (Nov 26) weekend and either the week before or the week after. Still working on details.

Doug Brown
08-11-2009, 10:29 AM
We met last year JP. Hopefully we'll cross paths again this year.

Brian Ivener
08-11-2009, 06:31 PM
I am on the board of the Friends of the Bosque del Apache NWR. We are the group the "puts on" the Festival of the Cranes. As an additional way for all BPN members to hook up you should know that we have a community bulletin board for messages located in the Friends tent during the Festival. Please feel free to use it.

Doug Brown
08-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info Brian!

Richard Peters
08-12-2009, 04:00 PM
I am hoping to pay my first visit to Bosque this year. I am more than likely going the first weekend of Dec as part of another forums yearly meeting there, so it would be good to maybe meet some of you there if I hopefully make it :)

JP Bruce
08-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Finally figured it out. I'll be around Bosque Nov 21 through 28. May come back during my 3 day weekends during rest of the winter. Doug I remember meeting and hope to see you there.

david cramer
09-07-2009, 08:00 AM
I'll be at the Bosque the end of November and beginning of December, last week of December, and last week of January leading workshops. Then I'm there just about every week for my own fun. It would be good to meet up with BPNers.

Doug Brown
09-07-2009, 10:00 AM
We'll have to meet up there this winter David!

david cramer
09-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Absolutely, Doug. I'll take you to see the wild horses down there too.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I will be there Nov 10-12 as stopping though after Moab

Richard Peters
10-03-2009, 01:58 PM
I won't be able to make it over the pond to Bosque now. I was hoping for my first visit this year...maybe next year now instead :(

Doug Brown
10-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Hope to see you next year Richard!

Kerry Perkins
10-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Doug, I am hoping to make my first trip to Bosque in November but haven't set dates yet. I'm curious about where people stay when visiting there. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Aravind Krishnaswamy
10-04-2009, 08:11 PM
I'll be heading to Bosque from Dec. 12-15 for the first time. Looking forward to it!

James Prudente
10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Bosque lodging info.

http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/aboutother.html#lodging

Kerry Perkins
10-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Thank you James!

david cramer
10-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I usually stay at the Fite Ranch, which is listed on the Friends of the Bosque page. It's great if you are looking for something other than a hotel room. No internet, though, so I go into Socorro to the Manzanares Street Coffeehouse each day for that during lunch.

Joerg Rockenberger
10-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I'll be in Bosque from Nov 25th to Nov 29th. It will be the first time for me in Bosque and I am still trying to get my bearings. Got Artie's 100+ page Bosque site guide but if there is a Reader's Digest version please let me know. :)

JR

Doug Brown
10-13-2009, 08:33 AM
A lot of workshops tend to stay at the Super 8 motel in Socorro. The Holiday Inn Express is quite nice but more expensive.

JP Bruce
10-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Since I'm bad at names and recognizing people from photos posted here. If you see an old guy on wooden crutches come up and say hi. I like company.

Richard Waas
10-16-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm so looking forward to my first trip to Bosque. I'll be there December 2nd thru the 4th and would love to catch up with any of my fellow BPN members. See you all there....... Richard Waas

Arthur Morris
10-20-2009, 07:40 AM
I arrive 11/19 and fly home on 12/2 (for three whole days...) then off to NY to see my Mom for 2+ weeks. Yikes! BPNers are all welcome at the Introductory Slide program that will be held at K-Bob's at 6:45pm on 11/20.

As for lodging, everyone should stay at the Super 8 as they have actively and generously supported the NANPA Scholarship students and the Bosque Open Windows Volunteer program for years. They deserve your patronage.

For more info on the Volunteer Project see here: http://www.birdsasart.com/bn302.htm

THANKSGIVING AT BOSQUE

For the past 14 years I have visited Bosque during the holiday season in part to honor the memory of my late-wife, Elaine Belsky Morris. And for more years than I can remember, I have hosted a Thanksgiving Luncheon for visiting photographers and birders. For years it was held at the Val Verde Steakhouse in Socorro. When that closed, we traveled up I-25 to the wonderful and historic Luna Mansion. Now that that facility has closed, we will be holding this year’s luncheon at the Stage Door Grille (http://www.stagedoorgrill.net/) in Socorro. In part due to my frantic pleading, Terry Eilers will be open this Thanksgiving Day.
Here’s the menu: Choice of turkey or ham, stuffing, mashed potato and gravy, vegetable, and choice of apple or pecan pie. Vegetarian special: eggplant parmigiana. Soft drink and tip are included: $20.
If you would like to join us please send a check made out to “Arthur Morris” for $20 to us here:
Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART
PO Box 7245 4041Granada Drive
Indian Lake Estates, FL 33855
Sorry: no credit cards or Paypals for this party.
Please note “Thanksgiving Luncheon” on your check. If you are registered for the The Complete BOSQUE Experience 2009 IPT, not to worry: this one’s on me.
If you are gonna be in Socorro, you should consider joining us as good food is scarce there on Thanksgiving Day. And the event has always been a feel-good one.

Note: Whether you are visiting Bosque for the first time or have been there many times, a BIRDS AS ART Site Guide is the next best thing to attending an IPT: https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=19.

Doug Brown
10-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the invite Artie! I'm sure I'll see you at the Bosque.

Michael Lloyd
10-22-2009, 06:35 AM
We finally nailed down the dates. Traveling to Bosque 11/12; shooting 11/13 - 11/15 (mid-day); headed home on the 15th.

Kerry Perkins
10-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Looks like I will be arriving around the 6th of November and staying through the 9th to meet up with Jim, then returning the following week around the 16th for a few more days. Visiting family in Roswell in between. Hope to hook up with some of you there!

david cramer
10-24-2009, 05:48 PM
The birds are returning to New Mexico and sandhills have been reported up and down the Rio Grande. You can keep track of the bird count at Bosque on this page. (http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/Friendsindex.html#whatsnew)

If anyone is going to be there on Wednesday, Nov. 18, Jerry Goffe is leading a workshop (http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/crane/Wednesday.html) that will go to usually off-limit sections of the Bosque.

allanrube
10-24-2009, 06:04 PM
December 3-6!! Yipee!

Doug Brown
10-25-2009, 09:42 AM
I'll probably see you there this year Michael. Maybe we'll recognize each other this time!

Mike Milicia
10-25-2009, 12:20 PM
I will arrive on 11/13 and fly home on 11/18.

I have never been there this early in the season but sounds like I'll have plenty of company!

Ken Crites
10-25-2009, 09:16 PM
I have been thinking about making my first trip down there this December. I guess I should get AM's guide since I don't really know where to go.

Arthur Morris
10-26-2009, 09:23 AM
I have been thinking about making my first trip down there this December. I guess I should get AM's guide since I don't really know where to go.

Welcome Ken and good plan. Having a Site Guide along is the next best thing to being on an IPT. You will know where to be when and where to head next. It is especially important at Bosque where we often make three or four moves in the first hour, five or six in the first two....

Michael Lloyd
10-27-2009, 08:58 AM
I'll probably see you there this year Michael. Maybe we'll recognize each other this time!

I'm counting on it Doug. I'm out in Santa Barbara now, at a John Paul Caponigro / Mac Holbert workshop this week (excellent workshop btw). After class on Friday I'm driving up to Yellowstone NP for a few days, then home for 3 days, and then I will finally be making the trek to Bosque del Apache.

Now that I've seen it I've got to make my way back to Monument Valley for a few days. Sunrise / Sunset doesn't last long enugh :) I suspect that once I've seen the northern part of Yellowstone (the rest of the roads will be closed by the time I get there) I'll want to see YSNP in depth as well.

Doug Brown
11-09-2009, 12:18 AM
Just spent the afternoon at the Bosque (my first of the season) with Jim Neiger and Kerry Perkins. 78 degrees in the afternoon! Hard to believe!

Arthur Morris
11-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Any birds? Any near the road? Any corn? Did the cut the high weeds along the ditches at the north end?

Michael Lloyd
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I was there Saturday evening (on my way back from Yellowstone and the Tetons). There are a lot of ducks. The Sandhills are so so. I saw some snow's up at the north end but they were at the back of the field. The area around the flight deck seemed "weedy" to me. The area at the south end (as you drive in it's on the left) looked bad too. I was almost out of light but I made a mad dash around the loop to see what the south end looked like. I didn't see a lot of birds but (based on a very quick, low light, pass through) there seemed to be more plowed / flooded areas on that end this year. The weeds / brush on the side of the road on the east side of the loop are still there. The weeds / brush north of the flight deck is still there. I don't remember what the north end looked like

Bonnie Block
11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
My first trip down Dec 1-7! Really looking forward to it!!
Hey! my first trip anywhere for photography. Finally retired this year!

Arthur Morris
11-11-2009, 12:33 PM
My first trip down Dec 1-7! Really looking forward to it!!
Hey! my first trip anywhere for photography. Finally retired this year!

I will likely just miss you; I am doing a program in ABQ on the night of 1 DEC. You will likely enjoy it.

Do consider our Bosque Site Guide. It is the next best thing to being on an IPT but cheaper. And I should have the free 2009 update out by then.

Doug Brown
11-11-2009, 01:29 PM
PM me about your travel plans Bonnie. If you're interested I can give you info on Artie's program in Albuquerque the evening of the 1st. I'll be there too.

Bonnie Block
11-11-2009, 08:46 PM
I will likely just miss you; I am doing a program in ABQ on the night of 1 DEC. You will likely enjoy it.

Do consider our Bosque Site Guide. It is the next best thing to being on an IPT but cheaper. And I should have the free 2009 update out by then.
Thanks, Artie! I will take a look. We definitely need some suggestions for the area.

Arthur Morris
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks Bonnie, Our Site Guides are designed to have you photographing like a 10-year veteran on your first morning. I tell you where to go when on what winds with what light. And why.

Arthur Morris
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Doug, I am hoping to make my first trip to Bosque in November but haven't set dates yet. I'm curious about where people stay when visiting there. Any recommendations? Thanks!

The Socorro Super is neat and clean and has the earliest breakfast in town. More importantly, they have supported both the NANPA scholarship students and for the past two years, the Bosque Open Windows Volunteer Project--free rooms for all. The Super 8 deserves our support.

gary rouleau
11-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Being one of the volunteers I fully agree with Artie. They really are Super and you never know who you will meet there. Don't forget to visit the Stage Door for dinner they supported the Windows effort as well and deserve our support.
Happy shooting and Cheers everyone.
gary

Michael Lloyd
11-16-2009, 12:59 AM
The Super 8 is a very nice hotel and you can't beat the price. We stayed there earlier this week (checked out this morning actually)

RichardCurtin
11-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Would just like to add to the recommendations for the Super 8. They have always been extremely supportive to photographers and the refuge. Don't know if I'll get to go this year. Maybe January.

Rocky Sharwell
11-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Another vote for Super 8....The breakfast is out in time for photographers--It is also easy access to the highway (every minute counts in the am). They have also been generous to me in past years in allowing late check out...

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-17-2009, 08:58 AM
I did not make it as broke down in Moab, UT and I tried to cancel my reservations at the super 8 and could not as I book it though their web site. The Super8 in Socorro tried hard to help me but the corporate office would not budge and I learned a lesson to book right with the Super8 in Socorro as they will work with you if you have problems. Stayed there last year and it is a great place with friendly staff

Rocky Sharwell
11-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I did not make it as broke down in Moab, UT and I tried to cancel my reservations at the super 8 and could not as I book it though their web site. The Super8 in Socorro tried hard to help me but the corporate office would not budge and I learned a lesson to book right with the Super8 in Socorro as they will work with you if you have problems. Stayed there last year and it is a great place with friendly staff

Good point about calling direct. They were very helpful to me the year I was recovering from a broken foot--I wanted a non-smoking room on the first floor.

Bryan Holliday
11-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Anyone want to share a hotel room? I will be there Thursday through Sunday 11/19 - 11/22 and have a room booked already. If you have one already too, I could cancel mine. I'm also willing to join a small group. Trying to save $$! Let me know... PM or bryanholliday@gmail.com.

Doug Brown
11-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Just got back from 5 days at the Bosque. The past 3 mornings have been fabulous at the Crane pools. The Refuge has started flooding some of the fields and adding water to others; the weeds are starting to vanish in places. Bird numbers, while not as high as last year, are still pretty good; plenty of bird photography opportunities. The temperature is starting to drop; the past couple of mornings have been in the teens. There have been a number of bobcat sightings (I was fortunate enough to see one) and even a cougar has been spotted on the Refuge.

All in all, a very good 5 days spent there. I should be there again for about 24 hours from Friday evening to Saturday evening. Hope to see some of you there!

Michael Lloyd
11-19-2009, 12:01 AM
It got better because we left Doug :) It was good to see you again even if it was only for a short time.