PDA

View Full Version : An Elephant amidst Elephant Grass

sree.kumar.h
08-06-2009, 12:04 PM
India’s Kaziranga National Park covers an area of approximately 430-sq-kms with its swamps and tall thickets of Elephant Grass. These grass grow up to 7-10 feet tall.

An attempt to put a perspective as to why this grass could be called as 'The Elephant Grass’.

Captured using Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens and the EOS-400D. ISO 200. @400mm. 1/400sec at f/9.0.

I hope such images are welcome in this forum :).

Comments, Criticism all welcome.
Sree

Kiran Khanzode
08-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Never seen an elephant stalk ! :) Unique image.

David Fletcher
08-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Bit tight on the left, but sure shows this grass and Ele' well. Be nice for eye contact as mentioned, but for what you are showing, not nec' and works well.

Fabs Forns
08-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Very interesting concept, although I'd have liked to see more of the face, thanks for sharing it!

Harshad Barve
08-06-2009, 08:53 PM
This image is not showing the cocept which you want to show
I am unable to understand if he is sitting or walking
I'd have liked to see more of the face,
TFS

Ken Watkins
08-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Now this is problem grass, I have seen it myself. Were you on another elephant?

I think to show this in a better manner you need to be lower and have the elephant perhaps just breaking through to a clearing.

I for one would not wish to get on the ground in this grass, it could and does hide almost anything.

Sabyasachi Patra
08-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Sree,

I understand what you are trying to achieve. These grasses completely hide the elephants. In a winter morning, if you are on the back of a captive elephant, you can just get completely wet by the dew.

I think this image would have been better if you could have used a wide angle to show the barely visible top of a few elephants. That would show that the elephant is not in a ditch. By the way, an elephant either sleeps while standing or at times, though not often, takes rest in a sideways position.

I agree with Ken, that if an elephant is just moving out of the grassland then it would give a fair indication of the height of the grass.

Its an interesting attempt. Would love to see more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

sree.kumar.h
08-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Thanks for you comments. At time I like to attempt capturing wildlife with a different perceptive. This was one such attempt. Agreed, I could have composed better to get the right perspective I visualized. Now that I analyze, a vertical composition would have been better suited for this perspective.

@Harshad, the Elephant is actually grazing. I was told this grass it supposed to one of its favorite food.

@Peter and Fabs, I waited hoping the elephant would look up slightly. It was quite far and also get a perfect opening through the grass was difficult.

@Ken, This image was made standing on seat of an open jeep. The jeep driven over a bund so I could have got down but then I will not be able to see the Elephant.

@David, While composing I had not factored in the fact of the elephant flapping its ear. Hence the tight left frame. When I compared images, a frontal view of Elephant with open ears is any day more appealing.

Thanks
Sree

Harshad Barve
08-09-2009, 01:51 AM
repost works for concept
TFS

sree.kumar.h
08-09-2009, 03:25 AM
The wide angle post is moved to http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=318662