PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with flowers, fog and flash.

Daniel Cadieux
08-06-2009, 08:44 AM
The Purple Loosestrife is an non-indigenous and invasive species, but it made a nice subject experimenting with foggy conditions and flash. The flash made the colours pop nicely and I thought it made an interesting effect with the almost B/W foggy BG.

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 @35mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/50s., f/14, ISO 640, +1 EC, -0.3 FEC, tripod(!).

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_Loosestrifeinfog_6581-01.jpg

Ed Vatza
08-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Good Morning Dan,

Good experimenting here and the idea of color against an almost black and white background what what I saw upon first look. My thoughts turn to the loosestrife. You either need better specimens if you are going to focus on just one or two heads or your need a bunch of them if they are going to be at a stage like these. (I was looking at some just this morning and walked away without a shot because they just didn't look good to me.)

The plants are about as invasive as they come but they sure can look pretty when bunched up along a stream or pond.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I really love this picture, the purple really stand out with the fog in the BG, Good job :)

denise ippolito
08-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Daniel, I think this has alot of dimension. The fog adds an interesting element to the image. Does it need a slight rotation? I like the composition how the flower stems are in the middle of the shadows and trees as if you placed them there. Nicely done.

Roman Kurywczak
08-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey Daniel,
I think this is very interesting and I like the way you did get seperation between the distant trees. The fog only further enhances it and you used the flash very well. I did debate that much room on the bottom....but after exploring a few browser crops.....didn't find a pleasing place to crop w/o eliminating some of the interesting y formations on the stem. You may want to consider eliminating the 2 leaves on the right plant or messing with the right one....but it still is a tough call as to where. More may have worked but also introduces many more challenges as far as comp go. All in all I think this was well thought out and executed!

Desmond Chan
08-07-2009, 11:05 PM
I like the idea, too. I think it would look even better if the background was farther away and more room on both sides.