PDA

View Full Version : Pileated chick in nest cavity

Charles Glatzer
08-05-2009, 09:36 PM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked! Unauthorized use or reproduction for any reason is prohibited

Loons and More '09, MI

This is one of three chicks in the nest. I have images of 1, 2, and all 3 with heads poking out of the nest cavity.
A time I will never forget.

Flash played an integral role in this image, subtly lightening the chick without eliminating the shadows so necessary to maintaining the image 3D appearance.

1Ds Mark III, 600mm w/2x from tree stand, Manual fill-flash w/beamer
Manual, spot off tree, 1/100 @ f/11, ISO 800
Post-production- LR2, CS4

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Best,

Chas

Harshad Barve
08-05-2009, 10:25 PM
this is fantastic shot,
way the bird looking is so sweet
TFS

Mital Patel
08-06-2009, 02:50 AM
i would crop a bit more from left. popping head and a good light captured made this image for me.. superb.

Krijn Trimbos
08-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Gorgeous shot Chas! Love the hole, and the peeking pose of the little one! Most of all I love the exposure on this one! Congrats!

Erich Stevens
08-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Chas,

Love this one for its detail in the chick's head and the very effective DOF. Would wish for the chick's head to be sticking out a bit more because the tree trunk is casting a very soft shadow which seems to start halfway across the bird's eye. But it might've been more noticeable without the BB. Great work!

12,000mm?!

Charles Glatzer
08-06-2009, 08:43 AM
i would crop a bit more from left. popping head and a good light captured made this image for me.. superb.

While I agree some of my images could perhaps be cropped for better display...for educational purposes my posted images remain in the 2x3 format as viewed in camera. By posting in this format I hope it helps others to better understand in-camera composition and make the most of the image when depressing the shutter.

Best,

Chas

Jim Neiger
08-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I like the feel of this one, Chas. It looks like the bird is smiling at you.