PDA

View Full Version : Female House Finch in yard

Gus Hallgren
02-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi, Had this beautiful female house finch visit us at 11:30 AM this morning, usual sunny vivid blue skies. IMHO, this is what I think was needed, and why I wasn't able to do it. First, it would have been nice to close the aperture down for DOF and get the tail in focus. Why I didn't is because the tree trunk on left angling up would not have been blurred, the white on the right is a white adobe house and I wanted out of focus too. The second thing I should have photographed the bird face on, (Notice side shadows on feet) but immediately to my left is a Cholla Cactus, commonly called jumping cactus because a cluster will attach when you get too close, and having a small cluster catch my finger moving my chair too close, i didn't dare move any closer. Even not perfect I like the photo because of the birds attitude.
Windy Gus . . .;)

AP F 7.1 1/640s
ISO 100 (Trying to avoid noise from bright blue skies in a lot of my photos)
-0.70 EV (Because it took that much to stop highlights blinking on my camera)
600 MM (Hand Held)
Bright Sun (5300K) WB

Alfred Forns
02-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi Gus You did well with this one Don't worry much about stopping down for the tail You will not be able to get it in focus Having he bird parallel is about the only way With a sharp eye it will not be a problem

Don't mind the head angle and the shadow is minimal Would like to see the bird with more room to her left (direction she is looking) and having a better perch would be a big plus !!

Gus Hallgren
02-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi Al, Thanks for the tips, can clearly see your points, new perch coming up! . . Gus

Judd Patterson
02-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Hey Gus, I agree with Alfred that the focus and DFO here are quite nice...and I wouldn't have changed them myself. Actually I don't have much to add to what has been said already. :) The room on the left would be really nice to give her more room for her glance. Good work for nearly mid-day light.

Gus Hallgren
02-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Hi Gentlemen, Is this somewhat like you were suggesting? Gus :confused: