PDA

View Full Version : Sydney CBD

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-05-2009, 03:57 PM
The Central Business District as viewed from the North Shore near the Prime Minister's residence. The ferry terminal is Circular Quay (they pronounce it as Key, not quay, which makes no sense to me, but so be it) :D
The Opera House is on the left, but I didn't include it. The Harbour Bridge - or Coat hanger - is to the right of me.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-05-2009, 03:59 PM
I wanted to add that in the center just behind the octagon shaped white skyscraper (Australia Square) is the tip of Centerpoint Tower and on the right side, in front of the old buff building (Museum Of Contemporary Arts) is the passenger ship terminal, where all the big mommas dock!

denise ippolito
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Akos, Thanks for sharing a slice of your "Big Apple":) (sorry I couldn't resist the pun) Seriously- I love seeing different cities and cityscapes!!

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey Akos,
Will have to make it "down Under" one of these days. Nice job of showing the skyline and glad you din't include the big boat!

Alfred Forns
08-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Impressive One of my dream places to visit !!!!

Gus Cobos
08-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Hey Akos,
This is your Big Apple from the land down under...:eek::D I love it, a beautiful city it is...thanks for sharing...:cool:

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks friends. They call it the Big Smoke actually. It is a gorgeous city, like no other in the world. Has practically everything if you are prepared to look. Pygmy Pipehorse for one :D (gotta add that one!), possums, kangaroos, foxes (though they are hated), raptors, whales, dolphins. What else do you want? Great food, wine, entertainment and places to see. Though you will rarely find me in the city center or inner suburbs. Since we moved near the foot of the Blue Mountains in the west, about 40 miles away, I dread the traffic and crowds. So nice and country like in many aspects out west.

Come visit anytime! Happy to show a few great sights!

Gus Cobos
08-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Akos...what is a Pygmy Pipehorse???:eek::D

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Akos...what is a Pygmy Pipehorse???:eek::D

I sent you a PM with a link. :)

Jackie Schuknecht
08-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Just a guess Gus, think it may be a type of sea-horse. Any reason for the name "Big Smoke" Akos?

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Jackie
I think it's an Aussie thing where country people who live in the fresh air refer to cities as smoky, polluted holes. I guess. :D Well, that is how I read it and understand it. Never really researched the meaning though. I can and report back if my idea is off the rail.

Dave Mills
08-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Looks alot different when I was there in the 60's while in the navy. My last stop before being discharged.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Ah Dave
WOuld have changed heaps since then. It constantly evolves! :)

Rich Ikerd
08-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Impressive skyline - on by short list of places to visit (as well as a lot of other locales in Oz).