PDA

View Full Version : Gannet

Stuart Hill
08-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Only just found this site and joined. Already learnt alot going through the posts.

So, need some critique.

Shot at Bempton RSPB, Yorkshire.

1/1000
f6.3
iso640

regards.
Stu.

Lance Peters
08-05-2009, 04:38 PM
HI Stuart - a big warm welcome to the BPN Family - good to see you jumping in feet first - You will love it here I am sure.
My Favorite Birds - these Guys. You have a good head angle and sharp details throughout. One thing to keep in mind is the angle of the light - best to have it lined up at your back as this gives even lighting on your subject (not always possible I know) here you have some of the bird in shadow and some in brighter light - not too bad but do keep it in mind.
As presented I would try to lighten the face/ eye area just a tad and add some additional sharpening to the eye. The background is what it is - dont think you would have been able to get any better in this location.

Do post your full shooting info including Camera and Lens and +/- Compensation - will help everyone see what you are doing.

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Stuart Hill
08-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the help Lance. Unfortunately this Gannet was down along side a cliff face and was only in light during the morning and then in shadow for the rest of the day, hence the one sided shadow.

Just invested in a flash head and better beamer. Would a bit of flash have helped here?
Will have a go in photoshop with your suggestions.

detail as above and
D300
Sigma 500mm f4.5
Manual exp.

kind regards.
Stu.

Gus Cobos
08-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Hi Stuart,
A big warm welcome to the BPN family...I like the capture, these are beautiful birds...all the techs. and fine advise given by our resident Gannet expert, Mr. Peters...looking forward to your next one...keep them coming...:cool:

Alfred Forns
08-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi Stu Big Warm Welcome !!!!

Excellent suggestions by Lance Cand add regarding the flash it depends of the distance and shutter speed, at 1/1000 your cutting the power output to 1/4 .. so probably no light on the bird.

Love the fine detail and exposure, would like seeing a little more around the bird !!! Looking forward to many more !!!

Bob Miller
08-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi Stuart and welcome! I agree with lance. Lighten the eye and face and i think you have a keeper

OvidiuCavasdan
08-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Welcome!
Nice pose and details.
For me, Bg is ok because I like the froeground against the oof cliff.

Adrian David
08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Excellent pose, details, colors and perch...I like it very much!....And...a big Welcome!!

Stuart Hill
08-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the hello's and the critiques everyone. :D

The main reason I joined was to better my photography which you just can't do if the only comments you receive are 'good shot'. Whilst nice it really doesn't tell you where you are going wrong or right. So much appreciated. :D

Here is a repost with a tweek to see if I understood correctly.

kind regards.
Stu.

Ray Rozema
08-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Welcome Stuart
BPN is a great place to learn. the repost is much improved I would wonder about also lighting the area to the lower left. I found myself drawn there trying to see what is there. If it were lighter it might not be as distracting :)

Ray Rozema
08-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi Stu Big Warm Welcome !!!!

Excellent suggestions by Lance Cand add regarding the flash it depends of the distance and shutter speed, at 1/1000 your cutting the power output to 1/4 .. so probably no light on the bird.

Love the fine detail and exposure, would like seeing a little more around the bird !!! Looking forward to many more !!!

Hi Alfred: Can you explain "at 1/1000 your cutting the power output to 1/4 .. so probably no light on the bird. "

Thanks Ray:):)

Harold Davis
08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
hi stuart, big welcome to BPN!!! i love the repost. lightening the shadows made this one shine even more than the original. i love the mood set by the light in it. fantastic first post and one that's hard to beat!!!

Bob Miller
08-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi Stuart....Love the repost....Much improved!

Lance Peters
08-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Good work on the repost ;)