PDA

View Full Version : Kariba Sunset

Ken Watkins
08-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I do not normally take a lot of landscapes, but could not resist this.

Sunset over Lake Kariba, taken from drifting boat near Rhino Safri Camp, Matusadona, Zimbabwe ,14th June 2009

EOS 1D MkIIn

28-300mm at 180

F5.6, 1/2500, ISO 800

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi Ken,
When you have great colors like that....it is impossible to resist! Does look like it needs a bit of CW rotation. I may take the tree on the left edge off completely....just to keep the edges clean. Simple comp with a nice placement of the glow of the rising sun......the colors are what make this! Nicely done.

Mark Fuge
08-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Nice image Ken. Agree with Roman, but another alternative for a different shot would be to move slightly to the left to include the whole tree grove and some of the BG along that border. Adjusting about 1 inch more space on the left and cropping the right the same.

But I like your image as is as well, with the separation of the orange in the sky and the FG lake.

Rich Ikerd
08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Wonderful orange colors Ken. I'm in the "a bit more room on the left" camp as well. And while this composition seems to work pretty well, I wonder what it would look like if you concentrated on the sky a bit more and lowered the shoreline in the distance.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I love this picture, nice job, nothing really bothers me here I like the tree on the left it adds life to the picture with all those dead trees in the water. :)

Ken Watkins
08-07-2009, 02:06 AM
I agree that there should be more of the trees on the left, next time? There will be a next time this is a wonderful area, for birds scenery, wildlife and even fishing if you like that, and no crowds!