PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Shuksan Sunset

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
This is an older slide taken of Mt. Shuksan in Washington State. I was always attracted to these type of images but some people feel they look too much like an ink blot test. How do you feel about these type of images? This was about 20 minutes after sunset.

Canon EOS3 with the 28-135mm lens and E100VS film all tripod mounted with Graf Studioball head. No other specs.

Rich Ikerd
08-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Not sure the split image with nothing but silhouette in the middle really works for me Roman. The colors are out-of-this-worldly but having nothing but black in the middle doesn't seem right.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I really love the upper half of the picture, I am not really feeling the lake half, The colors are gorgeous and really stand out, nice job :)

Roman Kurywczak
08-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks Rich and Kyle for chiming in! You both have the same feeling I do about this image and Kyle nailed the direction I would take with this type of image......just do the top 1/2.....because when you include the reflection in these very dark moments......looks too much like an Ink Blot test! Food for thought when you are out in the field!

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2009, 10:04 PM
can't believe these colours are natural. I agree with the sentiments regarding the black centre. I never worked with film (well, I exclude my cheap Kodak point-and-shoot film camera I had when in school) so it's always interesting to see what results people achieved.

Roman Kurywczak
08-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey Morkel,
colors were natural (except that certain films accentuated certain colors...in this case...Kodak E100vS reds)....so just imagine that it is like changing WB to cloudy from sunny.....scroll until you eliminate the entire reflection.....too much black otherwise....but a nice pano silhouette! I may need to add a bit more black to the silhouette...but you get the idea.

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2009, 10:11 PM
thanks for the info :)

yeah that pano view punches high! I would add blacks to the silhouette and also sharpen it slightly.