PDA

View Full Version : PS Elements question

Harold Davis
02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I was wondering how much less elements can do vs CS3. can you clone with elements? i'm on a tight budget and have a hard time coming up with $700 for CS3. just trying to figure how much more can i do in elements than i can already do in capture nx and what the major differences between elements and cs3.

thanks for the help!!

Lance Warley
02-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Elements can do a ton of things, Harold. I just upgraded from it to CS3, because Adobe just offered CS3 for $300 if you have Elements.

With Elements, you can clone. It has layers, shad/highlights, levels, raw processor, a form of curves, and much more.

I don't know capture nx, but I'm sure others in here will.

Alfred Forns
02-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Harold Elements is very capable There is a new version coming out Might want to check in the Adobe site

One thing you can do for PS3 You can buy an older version in eBay then buy the upgrade !!!!

Capture NX is a conversion program The best for Nikon users It even has plug ins Love the program Still you need some PS program In NX you only do global adjustments while PS and Elements you can do local corrections Plus a ton of other things

Robert O'Toole
02-10-2008, 09:51 AM
HI Harold,

Giving up the full aresenal or commands and tools in Photoshop CS3 is really putting you at a disavantage.

I couldnt do without PS for one day. I use Photoshop CS3 everyday professionally (that is I optimise for clients) and for myself and I could not do without quick masks, layer masks, and channels. I dont use them on each and every image, but its close. For instance of the image is as perfect as it gets, it doesnt even need cropping lets say, I would still use a Quick mask or Layer mask to selectively sharpen. You might not use Photoshop CS3 to the extent that I do as a professional right now, but you will have the power of masks and channels there for you to learn and take full advantage of when you become more comfortable to use these more advanced features.

Sorry I am at a disadvantage because I have never owned PS elements so I cannot tell you the advantages of using it over CNX.

Are you in the educational field? Adobe has a great educational program that makes PSCS3 available for maybe -50% for anyone with the credentials or someone enrolled.

Robert

JH Tugs
02-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Educational discount also applies if you have a child in the educational system - e.g. my child is in 1st grade, and as I'm buying for personal use in the home, I can use that to obtain the discount. Lightoom cost me $99 with educational discount, for example.

I agree that not having PS CS3 puts you at a disavantage, but then if you're not a professional making money back on the editing you do, the $600+ for PS CS3 is a pretty big ask when you're short of cash. I used PSE for a couple years, and it did a lot of what I needed in terms of basic editing. Now with Lightroom, all of my basic processing is done there instead of in PS, and I find myself only using PS for the kind of work that is often unobtainable in PSE anyway...

Probably not what you needed to hear, I imagine. I'll add my usual plug for the free GIMP software, which might be a zero cost place to start, but I also note that pretty much all advice and tutorial I've seen here is in PS CS3.

Harold Davis
02-10-2008, 10:44 AM
thanks for the help guys!! robert, as far as being in the educational field, unless you call teaching a bunch of monkeys how to correctly maintain a golf course, i'd have to say no. but that's ok. i appreciate the all the help. mr. albert, i think i'll start checking out ebay.

Ian McHenry
02-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi Harold
If you want to see an example of cloning/healing brush effect with Photoshop Elements you could check out my post in the Wildlife forum "Otter in Wildlife Park"
I'm still really new to cloning & healing brush but it seems that with PSE healing brush is good & selecting the best sized healing brush best option.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Alfred Forns
02-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Harold here is a link to Adobe/PhotoElements Will give you a good idea of what you can do

The program is capable My only complain are the auto this and that (PS has some also) Might lure you away from doing the real work yourself
I believe you can use plug ins just like in PS It is a viable alternative to PS

Richard Kowalski
02-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Elements is the way to go if you are on a budget and have little time to learn everything PS has to offer... Or to get yoou started on the right path if you plan on migrating to PS in the future.

Amazon currently has Elements 6 for $80 with a $20 rebate and free shipping. (That's $60 final cost)

http://tinyurl.com/2lr8c5

Alfred Forns
02-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Richard do you know if there is a new version of Elements coming out? Think I there is something !!

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Elements 6 is out (windows) and almost out (mac) and has advances over E5. Go to Adobe website and look for a comparison of features.

Richard Kowalski
02-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Sorry Alfred, I don't I did a rather quick search on "Elements 7" and didn't turn up anything of substance, like a press release.

I should say for those on an extremely tight budget, The GIMP is image processing software that is free, and is available in PC, Mac & LINUX versions. I know several people who use it and are happy with what it does.

http://www.gimp.org/

I've played around with it a little and it seems to be ok, but since I've been using PS since version 3, I'm sticking with Adobe...

Alfred Forns
02-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks Richard Haven't tried the GIMP I'm sure for basics it should be fine Would jump to Elements as soon as possible

Robert this is what confused me Got it from the Adobe sight?

Strange it would be up?

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks Richard Haven't tried the GIMP I'm sure for basics it should be fine Would jump to Elements as soon as possible

Robert this is what confused me Got it from the Adobe sight?

Strange it would be up?

Your right. E6 for windows is out and fro the mac coming out. I fixed my post.

Alfred Forns
02-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks thought both usually came out the same time !!! Might get a copy to see what it looks like !!!

Harold Davis
02-12-2008, 05:51 AM
ebay has photoshop cs3 full version sealed for $99-225. just how much can you trust these guys? that's a pretty substantial savings. makes me wonder why anyone would buy full retail if this is a good thing.

Alfred Forns
02-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Not sure but one time i bought Word for $20 sealed and I was able to register? It was only the CD Amazing Imagine you are always taking a chance

Would check the feedback for the vendor

Amy DeStefanis
02-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Ooooh - This is really really good news - I have Elements, and have been considering upgrading.

Elements has been fine for me - until I started using the D80. It can't open the 12-bit NEF file.... It CAN open the D70s NEF file. So, I got Nikon Capture NX, which I am pretty happy with. But I'm considering the PS upgrade now.

I heard somewhere, too (someone correct me) that Photoshop does not support the Nikon Adobe RGB colorspace...???