PDA

View Full Version : Not My Typical Flower Shootin' Set-up

Ed Vatza
08-05-2009, 09:09 AM
I was out looking for birds this morning when I came across a small stand of Coneflowers along the edge of small pond. All I had with me was my Canon 50D and a 300mm f/2.8L IS lens w/ 2x TC mounted on a tripod. Feeling particularly lazy, I didn't bother to remove the TC. I just kept backing up until I was able to both focus and fill the frame with the flower. Fortunately it all came together before stepping backwards into the second, larger pond right next to the small one! :D

In this case, the pond was lit by the early morning sun just rising high enough to hit the water. And being still water, the pond had a lot of green junk (algae?) floating on much of surface ergo the green tint in most of the background. Flash would have helped darken the background but alas, no flash. So I had to settle for green.

Image was made at 06:49:45 this morning.

1/60 sec @ f/11; ISO 800; -1/3 EV; Focal length 600mm (effective focal length 960mm) - yes, overkill for a flower shot!

Mike Moats
08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Hey Ed, very nice, good looking flower, good details and like the lighting. BG looks great and nice color combo.

Alfred Forns
08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi Ed I like it a lot I think removing the coverters would have helped in dof department Sweet image !!!

Ramesh Adkoli
08-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Nice composition, Ed. I agree with Alfred. Without the TC, and with little more DOF, you could have got those water droplets in sharp focus too. I liked the feel of the center of the flower: both colors and the texture.

regards,
ramesh

Anita Bower
08-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I love the patterns and detail on the head of the flower. The BG is also lovely. Not black, but dark. Lovely composition. Like how the flower leans into the frame. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
08-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey Ed,
Considering the TC....nicely done but I am with the above on the removal. Still....love the angle and the sweep of the petals.....just enough color shade differential in the BG to be interesting.