PDA

View Full Version : Lower Havana Glen Falls

Gail Cordes
08-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I made this image last week-end at Havana Falls State Park in Montour Falls NY. This is the lower falls. The upper falls was filled with swimmers so it was hard to get a clean image of it. I realize many people prefer the water to be more blurred to show motion, but I felt like capturing the crispness depicted here.

40D with 24-105 at 95mm. Evaluative metering at ISO 100 with EV at -1/3; f5 at 1/60. Slight crop.

Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated.

OvidiuCavasdan
08-05-2009, 03:14 AM
I like the scene and composition.
More or less water blurr is about taste, I think.
I like this one, but would be interesting to see how it looks at different shutter speeds. Did you try faster/slower shutter speed?

Gus Cobos
08-05-2009, 05:15 AM
HI Gail,
I like the composition and capture...the water has a nice feel to it...would suggest on opening up the shadow details a tad, and adjust your mid-tones...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Nick Palmieri
08-05-2009, 07:07 AM
I like this image and think the SS works fine. The slower speeds are all great but each has its own feel and not always possible without the proper light and/or filters. My only arm chair quarterback" suggestion would be to include more water in the lower right hand corner. This would carry the eye down the waterfalls and across the right to a pool of water. I love shooting water falls and this looks great!

Gail Cordes
08-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately Nick, there is more of the flat shale in the lower right corner!! Otherwise that would have been a good idea.

Deborah Harrison
08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Lovely relaxing scene, I have not problem with the focussed water it works well for me. A very slight crop off the bottom of the image might help eliminate the extra shale there as Gail suggests.

Bob Miller
08-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi Gail...You did a nice job keeping your composition clean> Shutter speed is fine but would have taken some at different shutter speeds just to see different effects

Alfred Forns
08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Glad you took a different approach Gail For these I do suggest going at different shutter speeds to fine tune your vision and if going for crisp do sharpen the area a bit more !! Great comments !!!

Harold Davis
08-06-2009, 05:09 PM
gail, i love the selected shutter speed. would have giving it a totally different feel if it were all smooth and i like it like this. the soft light gives it a really nice feel!