PDA

View Full Version : SoBe Lifeguard Station III

Harold Davis
08-04-2009, 05:12 PM
i had to try something different with this one and wonder how it is working out. the sun and a large group of photogs were to my left. so that shot was out of the question. i did have to evict one walker and a sleeper on the beach from this one to get a clean scene.

D300, 18-200VR at 26mm, F/18, 1/50s, 0EV, ISO 400, polarizer filter. i added a dreamy filter from AutoFX software in Ps along with a bicolor filter in Nik ColorEfex Pro.

thanks for looking. comments and critiques much appreciated.

david cramer
08-04-2009, 05:33 PM
It's an enticing image, one that pulled me to study it for some time. The soft warm colors work well here. I only wish for more clouds in the right side.

Bob Miller
08-04-2009, 07:36 PM
I like the scene...Nice placement of station....The coloring seems to work but I would like to see the original. The image to me does seem a bit unbalanced. I want to see more on the right side like someone walking on the beach or more clouds. Also the right hand side of the station seems unfocused (?). A graduated neutral density filter might have helped balance the exposure of the sky with the foreground. Looking forward to your next post!

Kerry Perkins
08-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Harold. Do like the scene, especially the way the tire tracks on the left are placed. It does feel a bit unbalanced as Bob mentioned, almost feels like too much canvas on the right to me but it's just personal taste! Can't decide what to think about the clouds sitting on the roof... Almost like whipped cream on a mocha java! ;)

Lance Peters
08-05-2009, 04:52 AM
Hi Mr H - A bit of camera blur here due to the low shutter speed??? Especially noticeable around the pole on the RHS.
have enjoyed this series :)

Jay Gould
08-05-2009, 04:56 AM
I agree with Lance; it actually bothers my eyes to look at the image because it is so soft. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Harold Davis
08-05-2009, 04:59 AM
thanks guys. i added the blur. it's a sharp picture in the original. i was just trying a few different things seeing if they would hold up. guessing not. the one thing i felt strongly about was not having anything on the beach on the right side. with the girl on the lifeguard station looking left, i felt anyting, other than another structure or more clounds would have added tension, which is not what i was trying to accomplish.

thanks again. back to the drawing board.....literally!!!

Gus Cobos
08-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Hi Doctor,
I like the composition and capture...it looks a tad on the soft side, but at the same time, it has a painterly look and feel to it...I like the soft colors...:cool:

Gail Spitler
08-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Harold - thumbs up on the composition, the clouds and the rippled sand.
Cheers
Gail

Fabs Forns
08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I love the dreamy feel, but clouds behind the house are a minus. Moving ro your left to place clouds in the right would have been a good move.

Alfred Forns
08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Love the overall feel and might even try to soften the entire image more Just a differnt look and I like it !!! .. this is backlit and not esay !! ... would be great in the afternoon but we would be cloning people out for a few days !!!

CliveTonge
08-06-2009, 07:06 AM
Hi Harold,
I am enjoyimg the work you have done to make this a soft dreamy image. I can see some potential for this image as a two page magazine spread with a title and text on the right. Or as a poster with some poetry or a saying (text) on the right.
Those tire tracks really do suck you into the photo, but they are subtle about it because you hardly notice that they are there.
Thanks for sharing,
Clive