PDA

View Full Version : Woodland Kingfisher, Kruger National Park, South Africa

Chris van Rooyen
02-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I tried a new technique this morning. This bird was sitting in the shade of thick foliage. Instead of using fill flash, I trained a spotlight on the bird to bring out the colours. Personally I like the result, but would like to hear what you think. All comments welcome.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Date/Time: 2008:02:07 06:30:06
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Focal length: 500mm

Axel Hildebrandt
02-07-2008, 04:10 PM
What a beautiful bird. I'm not sure I've seen this species before. Thanks for sharing. I like the details, and composition. A smoother BG would have been great but I like it as is.

Very interesting technique. It would be very interesting to compare this lighting technique and regular fill flash.

Fabs Forns
02-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Very interesting technique, if there's time to do it in the field. It looks like it worked :)

Very nicely done and thanks for sharing your idea and results :)

Scott Linstead
02-07-2008, 04:37 PM
I'd say the result is great -- very subtle with some shadow still visible under the branch. I would be tempted to try some selective warming of the subject so that it matches the color temp of the BG.

Scott

Tony Whitehead
02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Lovely image and interesting technique, Chris. I have used a similar technique with some landscape/tree photos but not thought to try it on birds. It has been very successful here. I often find kingfishers rather skittish and would be concerned that the spotlight would scare them - did you notice any disturbance? I love the composition - the perch and leaves above teh bird balance it nicely to my eye. Look forward to more.

Arthur Morris
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Tony, This bird is usually pretty tame. Chris, Just lovely. Would get rid of the two dead leaves upper middle and the tiny stalk ulc.

Boys and Girls: All of those trying to understand my missives on the proper head angle are invited to burn this one onto their brains. It is perfecto.

later and love, artie

Dean Ingwersen
02-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Gorgeous Chris. Agree with comments mentioned already, but that head angle is killer.

Maxis Gamez
02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
What a lovely looking bird. The composition, exposure and BG are fantastic. The only thing I would do is to clone out the drive lift in the BG.

Arthur Morris
02-07-2008, 08:10 PM
What a lovely looking bird. The composition, exposure and BG are fantastic. The only thing I would do is to clone out the drive lift in the BG.

Hi Maxis, I am confused: what is the "drive lift"?

later and love, artie

Mike Wilson
02-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Love the combination of light on bg and the spot you used on the bird, what an effective combo, soft and subtle, but it definitely has a different feel, well done. An incredible image, I can't take my eyes off the bird.

Steve Wheeler
02-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Gorgeous bird and image! Perfect light and pose.

Steve

Glenn Bartley
02-08-2008, 10:59 AM
What an absolutely gorgeous bird. Your technique worked very well IMO.

John Ippolito
02-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Stunning bird and image. Also a very creative way around the lighting challenge.