PDA

View Full Version : Blue Weed

Roman Kurywczak
08-04-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't know what this tiny flower is (pencil eraser)......but it is sure agressive......takes over everything no matter how much you weed. Decided since Jules is away would drop by.
Indoors on a tripod mounted Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro at f32 and 1/5 sec and ISO 400. Went for the black BG look to accentuate the bloom and leaf. Natural light, 2 reflectors used. May try Fabs DOF merge next time.

Dave Mills
08-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey Roman, Nice sharpness,light,color and position of subject.Black bkrnd makes the image pop. I would give it a bit more canvas on top. Nice one!!

Dave Leroy
08-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Not sure what kind of flower it is but looks like a big old bull moose wearing glasses. Very nicely done. I like the dof but focus is still on the yellows. I also feel it is a bit tight on top. Dave

denise ippolito
08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Roman, I always like seeing blue flowers. The composition is nice and I agree a tiny bit tight on top. Interesting looking flower, nice details and the reflected light looks good. The black BG really makes it pop.

Bob Allen
08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Lovely shot. The black bg works well here.

It's in the genus Commelina, a monocot in its own family, the Commelinaceae. A common name for at least one of its species is Asiatic Blue flower, native to Asia. One such species is Commelina benghalensis. Here in southern California, it's a garden escape and aggressive weed, even invading moist wildlands mostly near urban areas. But it sure does have lovely flowers, and those anthers are just the goofiest (Bullwinkle Moose?).

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks all...and especially Bob for the explanation! I can vouch for the aggressive weed part!

Anita Bower
08-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Beautiful. I love this shade of blue and like the photo.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Beautiful picture I like the colors and the dark BG, I also have these in my yard, my Father-In-Laws says the chickens on his Island in the Azores would eat this weed, wish i had chickens now LOL. Great job capturing the beauty of something that can be a pain to get rid of.