PDA

View Full Version : These are my flowers

Desmond Chan
08-04-2009, 02:19 AM
D300 100 f2 on tripod. Manual exposure mode, all natural light. ISO 200 f4 1/40s.

Cropped, sharpened, added vignetting.

C&C welcome and appreciated !!

Thank you for looking !

Milan V
08-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Nice compo and details. Not sure about vignetting. Green-blue colours in the bg look a little bit strange to me.

Ed Cordes
08-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I like this effect a lot. I wonder how you got the stamens of the LL bloom in relatively good focus while the petals of the one directly above it are blurred. Then, on careful inspection I see the center of the lower bloom is perfectly placed below the center of the upper one. Great job of positioning the plane of focus!

To me the vignetting works. Now, next time get the spider to face you.

Dave Leroy
08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I really like the composition. Also concur on well done on focal plane. Very nice. I like the bg, seems to add to softness of photo. Well done. Dave

Roman Kurywczak
08-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey Desmond,
I too like the vignette.....adds a dreamlike quality to it. Also agree with Ed that if the spider was facing you....would have put this over the top! It's still very nicely done!

Desmond Chan
08-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone !

By the way, somebody told me that is not a spider but a daddy longlegs aka harvestmen, which is related to spider but not spider. If you look closely, you can see one of its eye.

I did try to get more in front of the harvestman but, apparently, it had decided that it had had enough of me and left.

denise ippolito
08-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Desmond, I like the dreamy quality and the composition. I think the lighting is really nice. Agree it would be over the top if your Daddy Longleg was looking at you-but I can see the one eye!!

Mike Moats
08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Hey Desmond, I like this a lot! The spider adds a nice touch, but the image would be great even without the spider. The lighting is what really makes this image pop.

Bob Allen
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm with Mike, both with/without the harvestman make nice shots. The slow SS gives an ethereal feel. Oh, you added vignetting. Nice touch.

Those harvestman are tricky - they rarely stop moving when they detect a camera. Note the eye cluster atop a turret on top of the one-piece body. Spiders have eyes on their head & face forward (not on a turret), and have 2-piece bodies.