PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage white, vertical

Beth Goffe
08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Saw this guy looking at the sky in Central Park. They are so fast, it's really tough to capture them! After doing a little research, I learned that these are non-native butterflies whose caterpillars are considered pests. Too bad, they're so abundant. And they're pretty when they're sitting still.

40D, 100-400L, 1/640s, f/6.3, 400mm, ISO 400

http://www.pbase.com/bgoffe/image/115699552/original.jpg

Milan V
08-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Nice composition. But I would prefere closer look on bf.

Ed Cordes
08-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Beth, you did a great job on the exposure here and the detail is super. I like the inclusion of some plant/habitat. I wonder, if you took just a bit off the left, then rotated the image 90 degrees CW would it have more impact? I know this is not the presentation you "saw". However I think people relate more to a "right side up" presentation.

Just a thought for an alternative image.

Roman Kurywczak
08-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey Beth,
Long time no see! Interesting thoughts by Ed....and after thinking it over.....might be worth a try!....then I like the branch on right more. Pretty good with the 100-400 for macro no less. A few things you may want to try in the field....an extension tube will allow you to get even closer and maybe even trying the 1.4 with that too. You may still have enough SS even with that combo. Nice job holding details in the whites and while I do like the sweep of the top 3 blooms....the lower one and leaf could go for my tastes.....if you aren't against such things. IMO that would strengthen it in either presentation. Still a nice job!

Mike Moats
08-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Hey Beth, really like the comp. Whites looks and nice details on the B-fly.