View Full Version : My First Loon

denise ippolito
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Canon 1D Mark III
100-400 mm
ISO 400
1/1600 sec. at f/5.6
HH Shot from a canoe

This image was taken in Northern Maine, This is my first time ever seeing a Loon and it was amazing. I will always remember the echoing of the calls around the lake.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Really cool action. Was it landing, taking off or chasing another Loon? Not the usual chick-on-the-back I see online. Very cool actually. Love the splashes of water all around it. Glad you got to see them. :) The blacks below the neck may be a bit dark, but I am on my work monitor. TFS. :)

Ed Schneider
08-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Congrats on the lifer and very cool image, Denise! I've seen them a few times, but never close enough for something like this, Bravo:)

Art Peslak
08-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Very nice action shot from the perfect angle.

Harshad Barve
08-03-2009, 08:25 PM
what a cool action, lot of water splash , nice postion and details. Agrred with Akos on dark areas
Nice image all in all
TFS

Axel Hildebrandt
08-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I like the takeoff pose and splashes and might crop a bit off the bottom. I've never heard their sounds in the field but can imagine how eerie it must sound.

Dave Barnes
08-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi Denise, it is always getting a first. This bird has got fantastic feather colour/patterns. (I would love to see one)
Moment well captured, good exposure and detail. Super shot well done.

Dominic Cantin
08-04-2009, 01:51 AM
I like the action here ! WOW !!! I like that we see the red of the eye. The details are well preserved in this image hard to obtain !!! Congrats on your first loon :cool:

Dom :)

Milan V
08-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Great low angle action image.

denise ippolito
08-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Thankyou everyone for your comments.

Charles Glatzer
08-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Denise,

Loons are FANTASTIC ;). And, you captured this one very well. The exposure looks spot on, not always easy to do with this subject.

FYI- the blacks look as they sholud from here.

Best,

Chas

Stu Bowie
08-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Congrats on your first Denise. Great action, and hope you captured one out the water too. I like the detail and colours on the head. You have done well with the exposure, and Im sure they must be quite difficult to get right.

denise ippolito
08-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Chas, Stuart - Thankyou both very much for your comments they are much appreciated.:) I can't wait to see the Loons again!!

Randy Stout
08-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Denise:

Great action captured here and well done on the exposure. Was the loon chasing another loon? He must have let you in pretty close based on the lens you were using. They can be quite skittish, depending on the lake and exposure to people.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

denise ippolito
08-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Randy, I believe she was grooming her under feathers. At least that is what I thought after reading about their behavior. She had a chick by her that she left approx. 35 feet away from her throughout our time there. She was swimming upright and foraging for food. She did not seem upset with our presence as we were camoflaged in a canoe that was drifting ever so slightly. Her mate met up w/ her and the chick went on her back, at that time the weather started getting bad so we headed out. Thanks for looking in. I think these are such an interesting species and I hope to learn more about their behavior through books and sightings.