PDA

View Full Version : Handy iPhone App

Michael Lloyd
08-03-2009, 07:22 PM
I wasn't sure where exactly to put this since it's a tip but it's also equipment related. Yes... equipment. iPhones have a respectable digital camera built in. Go to the App Store, search for, and download the free app called EveryTrail. You'll also have to sign up por nada (for nothing) on Everytrail.com. Right about now you're probably thinking, "why should I do that?" Well I'll tell ya... because... you can do this LINK (http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=299801) Let the slide show run. Watch the map. Each little upside down tear drop moves to the location that the image was shot from as the image changes in the slide show. Or you can select an image and the little thingamajig will turn green. Pretty cool

My example isn't the greatest since it's just me wandering around a customers job site but what if you ran EveryTrail and shot from the same location that you used your real camera at? You could record the area that you shot a specific scene from and see it graphically on a map, with Lat/Lon coords. You can make notes.... tell a story... Pretty handy imho...

Mike

Axel Hildebrandt
08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Mike! I will give it a try.

Tell Dickinson
08-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Hi Michael, not trying to hi-jack your IPOD thread but I do something similar with my DSLR when on a trip, I carry around...
http://www.semsons.com/amaggpsdalos.html
...and when I download the images with Downloader Pro it tags the images with the Latitude and Longitude and then any software that can read this info normally shows you the location on Google Earth :)

Tell

Michael Lloyd
08-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi Michael, not trying to hi-jack your IPOD thread but I do something similar with my DSLR when on a trip, I carry around...
http://www.semsons.com/amaggpsdalos.html
...and when I download the images with Downloader Pro it tags the images with the Latitude and Longitude and then any software that can read this info normally shows you the location on Google Earth :)

Tell

Cool... so how does it tag the images? Do you log your trip and then it tags the images based on the time? I like the concept since I can't mount my 600mm lens to my iPhone :D

Tell Dickinson
08-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi Michael, you just carry the AGL3080 around when you are shooting and it logs your GPS position every so often (I have mine set to 10 seconds), when I download the files I just plug the AGL3080 into a usb (no drivers/software necessary) and tell DownLoader Pro (DLP) where the GPS files are. As DLP downloads a file it looks at the time when the image was taken, and then looks through the GPS file(s) for the nearest match and tags the image with the LAT/LONG, using xml file if the file is RAW or insert in EXIF if JPG :) Its as easy as that. I think the ALG3080 uses UTC time (GMT) so you also have to tell DLP what your camera time is set to so that it came make the adjustments :)

Simples :)

Tell

Michael Lloyd
08-04-2009, 02:19 PM
I like it... Thanks Tell

Mark Fuge
08-09-2009, 03:15 PM
My Canon 5D has this in the info area. As this is my first digital, not sure if it is common info. It wasn't on my Canon EOS1 though! ;)

I have never sought out its use, as I am still trying to get use to the simple controls on this thing! But apparently you can record it for later reference.

Like your info though as well. Sounds interesting, maybe once I get my learning curve back on track.

GPS Data
Latitude : -
Longitude : -
Altitude : -
Geographic coordinate system : -

Tell Dickinson
08-09-2009, 03:42 PM
My Canon 5D has this in the info area. Hi Mark, I think with the 5D2 you need the Canon WFT-E4 adapter AND a GPS receiver, connect them all up and it will then Geo-tag the files with the Lat/Long at the instant you press the shutter AND the data is then written withinin the Camera, so no messing about at download time, but you PAY for the convenience :)

Tell

Mark Fuge
08-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks Tell,

No problem. I will check the manual and see what it does on the 5D that I have, prior to the 5D II model. I had noticed the info previously but didn't relate it until this post. Not that concerned with using it, but now I am interested in finding the intent of it on the 5D! ;)

There are so many features on it that I am taking them as I need them and so far, that has not been vital for me. But nice to see its potential use as you and Mike note.