PDA

View Full Version : Navigating in insufficient water

Alfred Forns
08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Term Navy uses for running aground ... running in insufficient water :) From many years ago we miscalculated the tide at featherbed bank in Biscayne Bay and ran aground !!! My good fried Peter is at the back with the push pole ... btw we did great with bonefish !!!

Commnets welcome and much appreciated

Gus Cobos
08-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Love it Mr. Forns...It brings back good memories and happy times...I use to fish this area too...I like the perspective...and I know the feeling oh too well...:eek::D:cool:

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Bonefish? I always wanted to catch one of those! I read so much about it in my teenage fishing days! Thanks for sharing Al! :)

Paul Lagasi
08-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Al, you gotta love fishing....never tried for bonefish in Florida, did try a few times in Caribbean for bonefish (I am not great with flyrod)...had a couple small ones on, I think they hooked themselves...lol....they do put up a great fight for their size. When is the best time for Tarpon? Photos always let you relive the day with great friends and experiences. Your photo sort of tells me you have a long walk ahead of you...

Alfred Forns
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Depends how you want to catch them Paul

Government Cut starts getting tarpon in mid to late winter, lot sof them. May/June is peak in the keys Fishing in deep water channels they are easy to get but in the flats a different story and much more fun !!!

During one of the Rod & Reel Club outing we had a tarpn land inside a boat and it was not a pretty sight !!!!

Kerry Perkins
08-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Anyone else notice the name of the boat? Shadowfax was the lord of the Mearas, a breed of wild horses that were only ridden by the King and Princes of Rohan. It was the friendship between Shadowfax and Gandalf the Grey that led to the two of them riding in the climactic battle ending the Third Age of Middle Earth. Not that I've read any of that... Al, you never cease to amaze me. ;)

Paul Lagasi
08-04-2009, 02:42 AM
Alfred for me I'd like to catch tarpon on heavy tackle....casting to them...
I saw a few huge tarpon, when I went to the Dry Tortugas but was not equiped...
lolol..I imagine a 40 - 80 pound Tarpon flying into your boat would not be a lot of fun
For me Alfred...I've always wanted to hook up with a tarpon ... from my days watching Sports Afield TV programs as a youngster...didn't know the season was open late winter
Thanks

Alfred Forns
08-04-2009, 06:49 AM
..the one that lnaded in the boat was 87 pounds !!!!!

On heavy gear would be no problem Just about any bridge would do it !!!!

Michael Lloyd
08-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Pretty cool Alfred... I did something like that once...

:D I was peering intently at my new GPS screen one day as a friend of mine and I were making our way to our favorite fishing hole. Normally I just watched the channel markers and made my way to our spot but I had just installed a nifty GPS in the boat and I wanted to try it out. The screen had a little dotted line on it that we were not on and I couldn't figure out what the dots were. Just after we crossed the intercoastal and entered the channel we had been looking for the motor made the distinct sound that one makes when it's churning up mud. The little dots were.. ahem... the channel... we ran across a mud flat during low tide. It's amazing how far you can get into one of those things in a 14' flat bottom boat :D

Alfred Forns
08-04-2009, 10:20 PM
... mud does wonders for your impeller :) !!!! Not a fun thing to do !!!!