PDA

View Full Version : Assignment - Macro Merge

Patti Edens
08-03-2009, 05:07 PM
This is my first post here after much lurking. I hope it is okay to post side by side examples to illustrate a point.

This is 5 shots of the Monarch Chrysalis - taken while adjusting the focus incrementally from front to back.

I processed the 5 shots the first time using CS4 by: Load RAW Files into PS Layer > Auto Align Layers > Auto Blend Layers in Stacking mode. Then I did some hand blending with masks to try to improve it, sharpened and saved. Took about 10 minutes.

Then I tried the demo version of Helicon Focus. I loaded the 5 photos and used the presets. It took about 5 minutes including the time to figure out the software and looked a lot better than what I had done in CS4. So, needless to say I bought Helicon Focus and reran to get rid of the watermarks (2 minutes). Then all I did was open the Helicon focus output in CS4 and sharpened it by the same amount as the CS4 version.

Now that I've done one, I know to take a lot more than just 5 photos.

Canon 50D
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro lens
f 11
1.6 seconds
ISO 100
Tripod and Remote shutter release
No flash - Natural light from camera right with diffuser.

Patti

Hazel Grant
08-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Impressive, makes me want to try.

Alfred Forns
08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi Patti Glad your posting and what a post !!!

Glad you did the comparison Helicon Focus is the way to go ... easy to use and great results !!! Just make sure they are all lined up !!!! Looking forward to the next one !!!!

btw you can safely raise the ISO for more shutter speed !!! If you have any noise check out Topaz .. they also have a free trial Great program !!!!

Gus Cobos
08-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi Patti,
I like the comparison photos...it looks really sharp...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Patti Edens
08-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks so much Hazel, Alfred and Gus for your replies.

Alfred, I have heard a lot about Topaz. I will check it out.

Anyone have any idea what I did wrong when posting? I don't know why my image posted small and required a click to see the larger version.

Thanks again,
Patti

Lance Peters
08-04-2009, 02:42 AM
Hi Patti - a big warm welcome to the BPN family - nice first post - no easy ones for your first post hey???

Well done - executed perfectly.

Your image is only 100pixels by 75 pixels - this is why it is so small - it can be 800 pixels on the longest side.
There is a sticky at the top of the thread about how to resize for posting.

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Jackie Schuknecht
08-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks for doing the legwork on this one Patti, does look like Helicon does a much better job, colourwise too. Topaz Denoise it a really reasonable Noise Reduction program. Al loves it, all though there are many other choices out there, and a whole thread I think in Educational Resources on it.