Canon EOS-40D
Sigma 70-300mm(at 263mm)
f/8
1/4000sec.
ISO-640
-0.7EC
Pattern Metering
Aperture Priority Mode

I'm very sorry about the clipped wing. Clicked this one on my first day with a camera so didn't realize it. Would really appreciate advice on how to click flying birds in a sharper way and also on how to process this image better coz I've just started learning photography and processing.
Here I've done some NR in the BG and USM to the bird. Also toned down the whites on the belly just a little.

All C&C welcome and greatly appreciated.

-Cheers,
Rohan

Axel Hildebrandt
08-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I like the takeoff pose and sharpness. A lower angle would have been good and you could have dialed in positive EC since the bird looks underexposed. The sky has a purple color cast on my monitor.

Stu Bowie
08-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Im very surprised at 1/4000, this should have been much sharper. I agree with Axel to dial in a + EC, especially shooting into the sky, and I too can see the purple cast. Keep them coming.

Rohan Kamath
08-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Im very surprised at 1/4000, this should have been much sharper.

Is the shake/lack of sharpness because the lens does not have an in-built "image stabilizer"???

Also, may I know how to reduce the purple cast???
And I will surely remember about the +EC in future. I had been misinformed as to never use +EC and since it was my first day out with the camera, I blindly followed those instructions. Thank you for correcting me there.
:D

Axel Hildebrandt
08-03-2009, 12:30 PM
In your RAW converter you could try to adjust the color temperature and/or tint to make the colors look realistic. For darkish birds in flight try +1 EC and check the histogram and 'blinkies' to adjust the setting.