PDA

View Full Version : Snow Bunting singing

Krijn Trimbos
02-07-2008, 01:17 PM
From Spitsbergen. There are many Snow Buntings over there but getting them to sit on the selected perch is another thing. Finally we managed to get him where we wanted...

C&C are welcome

Canon EOS 30D 1/250 f8
ISO 400
Canon 100-400 L IS USM
Focal Length 400m
RAW
M490 G1325

Axel Hildebrandt
02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
I like this a lot! Great setting, pose, BG and the little flower adds to it. I might crop a tiny bit off the left and it is visible on what parts of the BG you didn't apply NR.

Tony Whitehead
02-07-2008, 01:43 PM
This is lovely, Krijn. Whites well managed , lovely perch, background, action. The little tuft of grass really adds to it.

Simon Bennett
02-07-2008, 02:31 PM
A wonderful image Krijn - crisp with bird, background, foreground and exposure control just perfect.

Arthur Morris
02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Superb compositional balance with the bird and the tuft of grass. Soft light and singing. I woudl take a hair off of the bottom to get rid of the bit of stuff intruding on the lower right frame edge. Overall just wonderful.

later and love, artie

Krijn Trimbos
02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments

I like this a lot! Great setting, pose, BG and the little flower adds to it. I might crop a tiny bit off the left and it is visible on what parts of the BG you didn't apply NR.

Hi Axel,

I actually didn't apply anything to the BG at all. No NR and no blurring so I am not sure what you are seeing. Maybe my selective sharpening wasn't selective enough around the plant??? It occured to me that you are very keen on reducing noise. Although I am not a big fan of too much noise myself I'm not seeing a lot in this shot. This probably is a subjective thing, but when is noise too much in your opinion? I was just wondering......

Cheers :D

Krijn

Axel Hildebrandt
02-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments

Hi Axel,

I actually didn't apply anything to the BG at all. No NR and no blurring so I am not sure what you are seeing. Maybe my selective sharpening wasn't selective enough around the plant??? It occured to me that you are very keen on reducing noise. Although I am not a big fan of too much noise myself I'm not seeing a lot in this shot. This probably is a subjective thing, but when is noise too much in your opinion? I was just wondering......

Cheers :D

Krijn

Hi Krijn,

It's not that I'm looking for it. :) In this image I noticed the difference between BG and the areas surrounding the subject. Below is a portion of the upper part of the grass area to illustrate what I mean.

Blake Shadle
02-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Excellent image. Well balanced composition, good exposure control, and you caught him singing. Axel has a keen eye ;)

Grady Weed
02-07-2008, 04:08 PM
The overall comp here is just fantastic. Open beak, lichen on the rocks, great white details. Room to look off into. A good one overall.

Raymond Barlow
02-07-2008, 07:18 PM
very nice image, one of the best I have seen of this species.

Dean Ingwersen
02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Beautiful composition, and the bird singing makes this image zing! Great work.

Glenn Bartley
02-08-2008, 10:53 AM
You can do much better on this species. Agree with Axels observation.

Arthur Morris
02-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Glenn, Did you mean can or can't?

later and love, artie

Krijn Trimbos
02-08-2008, 12:00 PM

That's pretty harsh :confused: it isn't that bad is it? :(

Blake Shadle
02-08-2008, 12:09 PM

I'm gonna' go out on a limb and say that Glenn meant "can't"...

Axel Hildebrandt
02-08-2008, 12:09 PM
That's pretty harsh :confused: it isn't that bad is it? :(

I'm pretty sure that is a typo on Glenn's part.

Caroline Darmo
02-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Amazing composition, nice light & background, a superb image.

David Steele
02-09-2008, 08:01 AM
This is proof that a photo of a bird in its environment is often better than an ultra close up.