PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise Serenity - Bosque del Apache NWR

Ron Boisvert
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Canon 20D, 70-200 f/4, w/ 1.4X TC, @ 113mm, tripod
ISO 800, f/8 @ 1/250, Av, Auto Exposure, +1/3EV, cropped off top and bottom, NR

I'd be very interested in feedback on this image. After being at BPN for a few weeks, I'm guessing that some may think the top and bottom shouldn't have been cropped so tightly. What do you think?

All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Bob Miller
08-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi Ron....lovely image....I think the composition is fine as is....beautiful light!

Harold Davis
08-03-2009, 04:55 AM
i think the crop on the top is fine. there doesnt seem to be much up there that adds interest, so chop it off. the bottom part seems very bright to me in relationship to the rest of the image? and the crane is a nice addition. would have been really cool if it were in the sky above. maybe another round of sharpening?

Lance Peters
08-03-2009, 05:12 AM
Hi Ron - agree with MR H - bottom does look bright in comparison to the rest of the image -nearly looks like flash??
Sweet light - a tad more sharpening for me to.
Keep them coming :)

Nick Palmieri
08-03-2009, 06:54 AM
I agree with all the comments thus far and trying to figure where I stand. Agree with some sharpening. May I suggest the possibility that this could be two images, one with the the mountain and BIF and one with the foreground, cutting out the middle all together?? Just a thought as my eye keeps going from the top of the image to the bottom.

Fabs Forns
08-03-2009, 10:20 AM
I like the coloring and think the light foreground is caused by the light sky reflection. It has a very nice painterly look and love the colors and mood.

Dave Mills
08-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Ron, Very interesting image to try and analyze. I feel you handled that sky and the open water nicely by minimalizing them. I don't feel the birds are too light on the bottom and the light on the mountains is beautiful. I think there are possibly 2 centers of interest in the image., First being the sky, flying bird, mountains and shaded hill. Second being the water,birds and reeds. This is probably why my eye has trouble resting on the image and find myself being drawn to the top due to it's color and brightness.Good one to present!!

Gus Cobos
08-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi Ron,
I like this composition very much...it's interesting in that you actually have two images in one...If you draw a line across the center, you have the sand hill or bank with the sky and the bird and on the bottom portion, you have the flock of birds in their natural habitat...well done...:cool:

Ron Boisvert
08-03-2009, 03:20 PM
This was shot without flash and is presented without much PP either. Fabs is right about the sky lightening the foreground. I added another round of sharpening as requested for comparison.

I have posted other images where comments have been made about having two images in one. I would really appreciate hearing if that is generally considered as not a very good way to present a scene compositionally. For these images, it was my intent to shoot the whole scene at these times, and I wasn't aware of the potential for two images. My subject is not the birds per se, but the landscape as a whole.

Here's my question: Do you thing the potential for two separate images detracts from the impact of this image?

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it!

Fabs Forns
08-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I like the many layers here, so it's fine for me.

Gordon McKechnie
08-03-2009, 03:44 PM
HI Ron, I think the relative complexity of the image with its different elements just adds to the intrigue & interest. Love it. Keeps my eyes hooked trying to absorb all the complementary aspects of it.

Alfred Forns
08-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Bosque at its best Love these images !!!

Do like the extra room up top and having so many layers there is no real mid line I'm not usually there that early but will make it a point next time !!! Love how you got the crane against the lighter bg !!! Great feel and one sweet image !!!

Dave Mills
08-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Ron,IMO compositionally speaking an image should have a center of interest that the eye can finally rest on. I probably would have shot this same comp then (if I had time) would of worked other compositions out of it.
You have alot of good elements in the image and technically did a good job but I find that my eye doesn't rest and is generally roaming the image.

Bob Miller
08-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Ron...I agree with Gordon...the complexity is good and does not distract from this image....Would it from another image? i don't know

Ron Boisvert
08-03-2009, 11:47 PM
It's interesting to see how differently individual photographers will respond to an image. This posting encourages me to be more aware of alternate compositions in the same scene, and to maximize my opportunities for quality images.

Thanks again for all the comments! I'm learning a lot!

Kerry Perkins
08-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Ron, I agree with most of the comments made but I feel that this is a bold image that breaks out of the box a bit and find that it works just fine for me. While there are definitely two images that pull the eye in different directions, I find that the movement captures the essence of the moment and therefore validates the image as a whole. Very nice work and great presentation! Nobody mentioned the group of trees, which I find to be an anchor for the entire image - flying above and resting below. Also appreciate the left-to-right motion of the crane versus the left-pointing tails of the geese. Very artistic work!!

Ron Boisvert
08-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Thank you very much, Kerry. I really appreciate your thoughtful comments. Ron