Shot this morning...

EOS1DMK3 manual
600mm f4L IS Handheld

ISO 400
1/5000s @f4

Mark Fuge
08-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Nice shot.

Two suggestions. The first one I made myself at the EAA in Oshkosh one year. Ruined the entire day of shooting vintage and experimental prop planes. The shutter speed is too high!!! You stopped the prop! :eek: Not a good thing for the pilot. Luckily however, he is also attached to the top of the power pole (second issue :D), so he should be safe without the engine running.

But I like the image.

Michael Lloyd
08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
:D True on both points. Having flown an aircraft a time or two and experienced a stopped prop once I can understand where you are coming from.

Here's another view

Gus Cobos
08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi Michael,
i like the perspective on your first one and the close up view on the second...well done...:cool:

Alfred Forns
08-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I've seen those guys work the crops around Florida City and they are just amazing !!!! .... wonder what the accident rate is? I know they are good but they do get close to the power lines to cover the field !!!

Michael Lloyd
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm envious of the power that he gets to fly with. The Air Tractor AT-502B has a Pratt and Whitney PT-6A (the turbine in the aircraft in the images I posted is rated at 500 hp. PT6A's are rated from 500 to 1,940 hp) turbine in the snoot. If he wants to climb... he climbs with impunity (assuming there's no chemical on board)

Mark Fuge
08-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Good shots on both images. Glad you understood the humor. :D

It wasn't humor for me when all the images came out with stopped props. It reminded me of my childhood bedroom, which I shared with my older brother, where we had all the WWII plane models hanging from threads from the ceiling. But they didn't have to fly! ;)

Michael Lloyd
08-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Good shots on both images. Glad you understood the humor. :D

It wasn't humor for me when all the images came out with stopped props. It reminded me of my childhood bedroom, which I shared with my older brother, where we had all the WWII plane models hanging from threads from the ceiling. But they didn't have to fly! ;)

:D absolutely... I was happy just to get the opportunity to shoot an Air Tractor working so close to the highway. Unfortunately I was so happy that I didn't pay attention to settings... just centered the needle, composed, and shot :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-05-2009, 01:50 AM
I never knew there was a place named after me - Oshkosh???? WOW! :D

That top image looks like he is stuck on that pole. Cool image(s). Thanks for sharing. :)

Mark Fuge
08-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I never knew there was a place named after me - Oshkosh???? WOW! :D

That top image looks like he is stuck on that pole. Cool image(s). Thanks for sharing.

You've never seen Oshkosh by Gosh bib coveralls???? :eek: ;)

Yup, it’s also home to the annual EAA fly in, Experimental Aircraft Association. It is the premier air show, of experimental aircraft, in the world. It's also the busiest airport in the world, for one week a year, for recorded take offs and landings. Quite a site, if you're into metal birds! People literally fly in from all continents and a lot of celebrity pilots attend. A lot of your mates are there during the big week long celebration. They also have many of the vintage and high tech birds there. A few years ago I tried to shoot the SR-70 Black Bird, which was flying over the runway at about 200 feet. It was a black blob on the slide, no reflection, due to its total stealth design.

This is an example, not my image, of one of the planes. It is one plane, flying over the single runway airport. You will noted the precision parking of the planes below. If you like metal birds, it is the place to be in August. The skies, from Milwaukee to Green Bay, are filled with all types of aircraft during the day. Don't make late motel reservations however, most of them are booked thoughout the state well before the show starts.

The preceding was not a paid promotion! :D
<O:p

Michael Lloyd
08-05-2009, 09:23 AM
That top image looks like he is stuck on that pole. Cool image(s). Thanks for sharing. :)

He was but I knocked him loose and the last time I saw him he was fluttering away like a butterfly :D