PDA

View Full Version : Tern Into The Dunes

Jim Fenton
08-02-2009, 05:56 PM
One of my objectives this particular morning was to create images of terns coming back into their nesting sites in the grassy area of the dunes.

There was a sustained 25 MPH south breeze however and what the terns were doing was hovering high above the dunes and then dropping straight in.

Finally, I found one individual who on several returns to this nest came in low between my position and the grass, allowing for the type of image creation which I had envisioned.

Nikon D300, 500 VR, F5.6, ISO 640, 1/1250, UniWB, CW metering at +.7, flash with BB at -2.3 EV

Axel Hildebrandt
08-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I like this one a lot. Great wing position, sharpness, exposure control, eye contact, open bill and the setting makes it even stronger.

allanrube
08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Very nice shot Jim - bird position is good with bill and wing position complimenting each other. I like the grass (see so many terns with just a blue sky background.)

Brian Zwiebel
08-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Jim, Glad you got the shot you envisioned. I like the inclusion of the dune grasses and the swept forward wingds. I can really tell the bird is working into the wind in this shot. I might wish for more of the bird's head to have cleared the near wing but at least the lower mandible is visible. Good exposure and top notch sharpness.

Good Shooting!

BZ

Jim Fenton
08-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Typically I'd agree with you relative to the beak position, but since it follws the line of the wing on this one and isn't obstructed, I'm happy with this one.

Now...if the head were higher and the bird had either been calling or carrying a fish...then I'd be happier :)

Brian Barcelos
08-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Jim, love everything in this one. Wings, open mouth, BG and the grass adds a lot to it. Agree head could have been better but still not that bad at all. Congrats

Brian

Harshad Barve
08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
well exposed, lovely BG and wing postions, fantastic overall
TFS

Randy Stout
08-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Jim:

An all around excellent image, but the exposure really jumps out at me. It looks like you were all the way to the right, but not overdone. Just more encouragement for me to push on with UNIWB.

The sharpness is right on the edge of too much for me, but it does look good as presented.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Lorant Voros
08-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Hello Jim,

Very nice pose, love the open beak. Exposure is good and good use of fill flash for sure. It is close to being over-sharpened for my taste as well. Congratulations.

Daniel Cadieux
08-02-2009, 08:41 PM
I really love this one Jim! Everything just comes together very well, and of course the grasses make for a very special image. I'd say mission accomplished!

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Jim, this is REALLY good AND different. LIke the grass and the wing pose. Well envisaged and executed. I have no more to add. Love it!

Dave Barnes
08-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Wow love that silky smooth wing feather detail. Super exposure and flash work. Like the comp and think the BG works well. Great image, well done.

Kiran Poonacha
08-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Such a beautiful image, great setting, sharp focus and the open bill tops it.. Congrats...

Connie Mier
08-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Jim, fantastic, the angle of the bird, the mouth open and the green grass really make this stand out.

Ilija Dukovski
08-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Excellent, I love the pose, expression, wing position, eye contact and the grass is excellent BG too.

Erich Stevens
08-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Jim,

This is spectacular. The green grass and the whites of the tern make a very pleasing contrast. The grass bending opposite the bird's direction is a big plus for me. Congrats on a fantastic image!

Ed Schneider
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Love the grass, an unlikely but welcome BG for this species. Jealous!

Jim Fenton
08-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Hi Ed...

Out of curiousty, what would make the grass background unlikely?

Around here, these birds nest in the grass of the dunes whenever possible.