PDA

View Full Version : Cliche Part Deux

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
02-07-2008, 12:37 PM
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/251893859-L.jpg

In keeping with the French theme, I thought I would post one of my cliche shot from Antelope Canyon. This is an image that I didn't even convert until a year after the initial shoot. My only wish is that I would have done a broader range on my bracketing. This image was a single exposure adjusted in Lightroom for shadow detail. Canon EOS 20D, Tripod, Mirror lockup, cable release and bracketed exposures. If you haven't been before, be sure to schedule your visit over the noon hour to capture the light beams and pray for blue skies! Also, be prepared for a lot of dust...protect your equipment the best you can! Lastly, it is like rush hour when you visit the canyon and you have to deal with tons of people moving around inside!

David Kennedy
02-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey, it's not a cliche until everyone has an image from that place, and I don't (yet!). I love the right side of the image with the twist in the rock wall and it's amber color. A little bit more room on the left would have given the beam of light some space to live in, but it's a minor point.

Robert Amoruso
02-07-2008, 03:45 PM
I love the luminosity in this image. Agree with David on room on the left as well as that being a minor point. Nice work in LR. I would try just a bit of desaturation of the reds to get better detail on the walls, especially to one on the right.

John T. Watson
02-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Super Photo. I agree with above on getting the left, but I would not be surprised if there were photographers on the left (or someone tossing dust up into the light).
I understand the need to go during the noon hour to get the right light beam, but is there also a specific time of year to get the best light

D. Robert Franz
02-07-2008, 06:03 PM
A dramatic image indeed. Great color and I love the light beam... Suggestions above on the red saturations are agreed with....

Fabs Forns
02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I don't have the cliche either. :(
Great colors and good use of light.

Michael Pancier
02-07-2008, 08:15 PM
I also love the cliche shot. No light beams this time of year but such is life. WIll be there in 2 weeks :-D

Gayle Clement
02-07-2008, 09:36 PM
That light beam held me breathless for a moment there. Beautiful.

Bret Edge
02-08-2008, 06:36 AM
This is one of the nicest images I've seen from Antelope. Really beautifully composed and I love the light rays didn't blow out anywhere, which is usually the case. Excellent work.

Blake Shadle
02-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm not a member of this cliche clan... I wish I was :D Great work, the design of the image is outstanding.

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
02-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks all for the kind comments and suggestions. There were people that limited my ability to go much wider on the crop. I slightly cropped the original to cut out a bright spot where the light beam landed. I noticed that it moved my eye away from the beautiful light moving through the image. I suppose that is what happens with a 95% viewfinder...you get a little more than you planned when preparing the angle. This is truly a magical place to visit. I did a lot of preparation in my head as far as what settings to use and had all of my gear prepared before arriving at the location. Those who can move and set-up quickly will be rewarded. I believe we visited this area in the first week in May of 2006. Thanks again for all of the kind comments and feedback.