PDA

View Full Version : Night Herons in Tree

BillTyler
08-02-2009, 11:36 AM
This tree sits in the middle of a pond, and the night herons sometimes like to gather there in the late afternoon.

D200
300mm f/4 + 2x extender
1/200 f/11
ISO 200

Bill

Milan V
08-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I like it. Maybe some small crop from bottom and left will be even better.

Diego Torrentes
08-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi Bill:

I like this pic, the herons seem very relaxed looking at infinity in this tree full of leaves. Well exposed and sharp in my opinion. Looking forward to see more.

Bye,

wendell westfall
08-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Nice image, BillTyler . . . and unusual. I agree with Milan V about the cropping. I think it would help in eliminating a slight overdose of green color in the image and show off the herons better.

Alfred Forns
08-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Bill Agree with taking some left/bottom Would love to see same with a 600 converters isolating one bird !!! Excellent !!!

Lance Peters
08-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Nice habitat shot - agree with the cropping suggestions - more reach and you would be looking real good.

keep them cooming :)

Gus Cobos
08-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi Bill,
I like the capture, agree on taking off from the left and on the bottom, also further focal reach would be nicer...:) looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Ron Boisvert
08-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi Bill,
I hope you don't mind the repost. I saw this image in your image, and think it might be a little like Al is suggesting, without the magnification. What do you think?

Jeff Cashdollar
08-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Not bad for using a f/4-300 prime and a 2XTC. That a lot of focal length for a slow shutter, well done. Do you have room to crop the image and enlarge the subjects - nice job.

Bob Miller
08-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Hi Bill....Like the repost that Ron did. I saw the same image in your image when I first looked at it. The front bird is soft but the rear bird looks much sharper. Also I like the power shape of the triangle when cropped as the repost. You might consider taking a tad more off the right hand side of the repost

BillTyler
08-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi Bill,
I hope you don't mind the repost. I saw this image in your image, and think it might be a little like Al is suggesting, without the magnification. What do you think?

Hi Ron,

Well, the consensensus is the crop, and you've done a nice job of it. It looks like you added some sky on the right as well, which I think is also an improvement. Thanks!

Bill

BillTyler
08-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Hi Bill....Like the repost that Ron did. I saw the same image in your image when I first looked at it. The front bird is soft but the rear bird looks much sharper. Also I like the power shape of the triangle when cropped as the repost. You might consider taking a tad more off the right hand side of the repost

It's amazing how shallow depth of field is. I had to focus on one bird or the other, or have both soft. I'm going to do some more playing with the crop, but I really like what Ron posted.

Bill