PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant-tailed Jacana

Mohanram Kemparaju
08-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi All,

This is my first image post after been a silent observer for a long time.This was made under cloudy conditions in July.
Shot in Karnataka, a southern state of India.Shot from the car, thus couldn't get an eye-level shot of the bird.
Canon 40D and 600 f4.Av - F8.0,Tv - 1/1600Sec in aperture priority mode, compensation of -1/3. ISO 400.
Used NI to remove the noise, usual S/H, sharpening done during PP.
I am not happy with the composition, do let me know what you think about it.Also any PP suggestions would be most welcome.

Mohanram Kemparaju
08-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I notice that the browns in the image look a little different in Google Crome, compared to what i see in Photoshop.
Any comments on the Browser?

David Fletcher
08-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Happens all the time: :). Every site has this issue, trust me. Not sure on techs. Fab shot btw!. Great details in whites and browns. Like the comp btw. No issues there, other than a heads up would have put the icing on the cake,. (Gotta say that is a standard wish which I recognize to being pretty stupid of me as the bird is feeding and doesn't give a tosh for what we would like.... how insignificant we are as a specie to the rest of the world).

Mohanram Kemparaju
08-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for your comment David.The most insignificant doing all the damage to the other species as well....

Rohan Kamath
08-02-2009, 11:51 AM
I really liked everything about this one...nice details in the whites and browns...also gr8 DOF...the water on the leaf and the partially raised foot add nicely...
:D

Kiran Poonacha
08-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Welcome Mohan, Lovely first post. Loved the DOF and the natural pose adds well. The crop looks fine too.. Just wished a better HA and a lower angle. Nevertheless I love the Image.. Congrats...

Harshad Barve
08-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Welcome Mohan, Lovely first post
TFS

Mital Patel
08-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Welcome to BPN Mohanram.
Good start with nice image.

Arthur Morris
08-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Welcome Mohanram, And thanks a ton for your membership support.

I love the bird, the SH, and the raised foot. Lower would have been better as the dark areas in the two folds of the lily pads behind the bird are distracting. Your framing is off a bit here as there is less room in front of the bird than behind. I cropped as best as I could to move the bird back in the frame and while I was at it, I increased the contrast quite a bit.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Welcome to BPN, Mohanram! Very nice first post. I like the setting, walking pose and water around the foot and only wish for a bit more eye contact. I'm not familiar with this species but Artie's repost looks pretty good to me.

As for colors, you could try out Firefox 3.5.1 which is color-managed. Images should look pretty similar than in Photoshop if your monitor is well-calibrated.

Keep them coming!

Tony Whitehead
08-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Welcome, Mohanram. Interesting bird and I like the "quicksilver" look of the water on the leaf. I think saving your images to post in sRGB instead of AdobeRGB will resolve the display issue in non-colourmanaged browsers.

Daniel Cadieux
08-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Glad you started posting Mohanram, and this is a strong effort to begin with. Very cool bird, and I love the pose (including head angle). The comp, as you stated, is a little off...pointing your lens a bit more to your right would have been great. Tony is correct, your web-sized version should be converted to sRGB before posting as the colours will be somewhat skewed for most of us. I cannot comment on the colours as I'm sure they are not the same you wanted to show us, but as posted they seem like they could use some warming up.

Keep them coming!!

Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi
08-02-2009, 02:54 PM
The composition in Artie's repost is very good. Great DOF, and the water on the leaf is amazing. I like the HA, as the bird is doing its own thing.

Mohanram Kemparaju
08-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys for the welcome.Appreciate all the comments.
@ Kiran - what is HA?

@ Peter - the eye has a shade of brown, thanks for that pointer, will try that out later.

@ Artie - Thanks for the repost, i like it much better, a slight change can make such a big difference, i'm a big fan of your write-ups and photographs, its great to be interacting with you here.

@ Axel - thanks for the firefox tip, ill check that out soon.

@ Tony - thanks for the comment, my image is saved in sRGB, let me re-check on that.

@ Daniel - thanks for the comment, i think i save my images in sRGB, i convert profile from AdobeRGB ro sRGB at the time of saving, let me re-check that again.

@ doc - thanks for your comments doc

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-03-2009, 02:03 AM
Mohanram
I love the species and agree with Kiran bhai about a slightly better head angle. Artie's repost really pops out at me. I love the water on the floating leaf. It looks like ICE! Thanks for sharing and a huge welcome aboard! :)

Arthur Morris
08-03-2009, 04:40 AM
YAW. Thanks for your kind words and ditto. HA = Head Angle. Do your friends call you Mohan or Mo or do you have a nickname?

Kiran Poonacha
08-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Sorry Mohan Bhai for the late response.. as already cleared HA= Head turn.

Keep them coming....

Mohanram Kemparaju
08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
YAW. Thanks for your kind words and ditto. HA = Head Angle. Do your friends call you Mohan or Mo or do you have a nickname?

Most of my friends call me Mohan, Mohanram is sort of long:)

sree.kumar.h
08-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Welcome Mohan :) Nice image to start with Mohan. Artie re-post is too good.
For Acronym used in BPN read this post.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12681

Mohanram Kemparaju
08-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Thanks for that link Sree...

Arthur Morris
08-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Most of my friends call me Mohan, Mohanram is sort of long:)

Thanks Mohan, May we call you "Mo" here (it is even shorter than Mohan :)) or would you prefer Mohan?

Mohanram Kemparaju
08-04-2009, 11:54 PM
;) Mo is way too short Artie(i hope you don't mind me calling you that), i would prefer Mohan.

Arthur Morris
08-05-2009, 05:45 AM
Artie is fine. Mohan it is! In college I was "A." My younger sister is the only one who still calls me that.